Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: C&C: My second attempt at "studio" portraits

C&C: My second attempt at "studio" portraits

Here's the best from the batch. [Brutal] C&C encouraged

C&C: My second attempt at "studio" portraits
    Canon 5D MarkII, EF 24-105mm F/4L IS, 580-ExII (single light)
    F/9, 1/200sec, ISO 100, 93mm
    Used an umberella and refelector

Real Name
    Steve

Re: C&C: My second attempt at "studio" portraits

Brutal C&C what is that? The background is too sharp and maybe a grey would be better, it looks posed and unnatural.

The good points: I haven't seen better except in fashion and with seriously good models, the eyes look good and maybe an emphasis on them might improve the picture, your lighting is spot on.

But I'm just a casual observer that knows how hard it is; overall it is a great picture.

Thanks for the critique arith. I only have black, white, and chroma green muslins. I suppose I could try using the chroma screen and key it out (I havn't tried it yet - I figgured it would be difficult using a single light as the background woudln't be evenly illuminated). I'll give it a try next time

Kent, here's a "very simple solution". Use a full size white flat bed sheet and put it on the subject's left. The sheet will be your bounce card and separate/wrap the light around the subject's left, bringing him more dynamically forward in the portrait.

Another option is to shoot the flash thru the bed sheet (frost or white shower curtains also works wonders). Make sure your flash fills the whole surface area, otherwise you will get a hot spot. Ta Da! Giant instant soft box! As a fill, use a large foam card board (or two large rectangles taped down the middle on the outside, viola instant v bounce card) and place it on the opposite side.

You're subject will pop forward while still maintaining the black background.