Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Abandoned factory

Real Name
    António Correia

Abandoned factory

Today I moved to an area where I could find great mechanisms.
    I shot in the morning and the Sun strikes the walls too harshly.
    May be I have to go back there in the evening when the Sun is not so strong or may be in a cloudy day.
    It is amazing that now that I shoot with the Canon 5D and start using the simple program called Lightroom my photos got better than before.
    However, I am aware that the photos herewith can be improved.

1. In this one the reflection of the light on the ground illuminated the tubes very nicely enhancing their shapes. I used the big mass/volume in the foreground while focusing at the end of the tube.
    Abandoned factory

2. Here you can clearly see what I mean about the Sun and it's position. The area where it strikes is burned and has no information.
    Abandoned factory

3. A detail with a spider web. The light is good here because we can see it's reflection on the tab and tube while having a dark blurred background. Not bad photo.
    Abandoned factory

4. It important to show a detail tacking advantage of the harsh light. It worked OK.
    Abandoned factory

5. This is just a experiment to see what we can get - I should say - I can get from a little play with Lighroom. If you ask me I couldn't do it again.:wink
    It is a very "modern" photo, very up date, like HDR or similar.
    I noticed that Lightroom is amazingly simple to work with and returns very nice pictures.
    Abandoned factory

6. The last but not the least: the same picture in B&W. Very powerful !
    Abandoned factory

Thank for being patient for reading and watching.

Re: Abandoned factory

Very nice work. I love industrial/urban photography. Two thoughts: (1) Your spiderweb on the valve might have more impact with a closer crop, and (2) your B&W has a lot of mid-tone, but lacks contrast. I think a little more black and white would help.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Very nice work. I love industrial/urban photography. Two thoughts: (1) Your spiderweb on the valve might have more impact with a closer crop, and (2) your B&W has a lot of mid-tone, but lacks contrast. I think a little more black and white would help.
    Thank you for commenting.
    (1) - You are right but I was with the 16-35mm ...
    I post here another spideweb from that very day and shot with the same lens.
    I hope the spiderweb will be there next time I shoot such a place.
    (2) - My B&W came out of the previous shot, and may be this is the resaon it is not so good as it should be.

Abandoned factory

Real Name
    Ian

Hi Antonio,

Love the spiders webs setting the patterns of nature against those of man.

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

Just a thought.....If those pipes are lagged in asbestos and look to be in poor condition, it might be an idea to find another location to shoot? Asbestos fibres can be a serious health hazard.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Hi Antonio, Love the spiders webs setting the patterns of nature against those of man.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio, Just a thought.....If those pipes are lagged in asbestos and look to be in poor condition, it might be an idea to find another location to shoot? Asbestos fibres can be a serious health hazard.
    Indeed they are dangerous. I do know that.
    However, I just go in there once in 10 years and I don't have any responsability on the existance of those asbestos and the so called responsable politicians don't care as long as they are not around or near them.

They like best to buy new cars, automatic and "ecological", than take care of the environment. and help to get votes when time comes.

That's life. That's life.

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

Agreed those with responsibility probably don't care, probably the same the world over. Just didn't know if you were aware, your photos are great, just sometimes not worth the risk, but you are in best position to judge. Apologies if I am telling you what you already know.