Thread: EXIF data

Real Name
    Al Robinson

EXIF data

Since I'm new to this forum can someone tell me how do you get to what I've heard as an EXIF data so I can see the lens; ISO; and exposure etc.,of some of the beautiful photos submitted?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: EXIF data

A photo editor, like Photoshop or Lightroom will display the metadata. Likewise, if the image is stored on some photo sites, like Flickr, some of these have capabilities to display the metadata (i.e. EXIF data).

A word of caution; while you can get the basic camera data, like camera type, lens type, focal length used, ISO, etc. it does not give you any of the data about how the image has been edited, so you are really only getting a partial view of the image you are looking at. Depending on the PP process, there might not be any usable EXIF data.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

For very basic information, and provided that the person posting hasn't blocked the information, you can get a free plugin for most browsers that will enable you to view the EXIF information of web based photographs. This can be quite useful when trying to work out how a particular image was achieved. There will be no information on editing however.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Al

There was a similar thread to this recently here.

Dave

Real Name
    Robert

As mentioned above- most editing programs will show EXIF data- (unless it has been stripped out)
    I have Photoshop and Lightroom but still use the freeware program "XnView" for some purposes-
    Here's a screen shot- all the exif data you could want.
    But it doesn't say how BAD the image is..!

EXIF data

Real Name
    Al Robinson

So if I'm getting this right, if I see a great photo from one of the past monthly winners, as you can see in the beginning of the forums section, I can copy it and inport it into LR4 and if attached the data will be there. Have I got that right?

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Not necessarily so. You may have noticed when you export from Lightroom it gives you the option of blocking the EXIF information when posting to the web. Other programs may also afford the same facility. That's why I like the little plugin for the browser. A quick right click on the web image and there is the option to see the EXIF info if it's there. It will appear in a small window on screen. If full EXIF info is shown then yes you could be in luck with the download.

Real Name
    Andrew

+1 to Mike's comment. Plus, it's easier - one 'right click' away.

What web browser do you use?

EXIF Viewer, a plugin for Firefox works great, and is equally easy to install.