Thread: Flypast

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Flypast

This one was a result of the same opportunity that I explained here, when I posted the other image grabbed in the same few moments.

For me, this was about the sheep and its lambs set against that sky. The fact that the gull decided to join the picture was, as I think it turned out, a bonus. But your views on that are welcomed.

In acknowledgement of the many fine images posted up here by Fernando (kaskais), this one struck me as rather 'kaskais-esk'.

It's different (for me)! What do you think? Do you think I took enough detail out of the sky? Or too much?

PS - On this downsized version appearing in here, the haloing round the bird is much more extreme than on the original.

PPS - I think this is the first time I've ever made a 2:3 (4x6) ratio image. Don't particularly like it, but it was required for this one.

Flypast
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @ 400mm. ISO 100. 1/500@f8.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Re: Flypast

I think the image would have less impact without the bird; it's an essential element that balances nicely the sheep's presence.

I like the restraint in the tones of the sky.

The roofs of the buildings are a bit of a distraction to me; not the fence though. Next time get down on your knees and wait for that bird to come back. (You can probably herd the sheep into position without too much trouble.)

Tony

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I agree with Tony. To reiterate his thinking about the sky, that absolutely works for me.

Real Name
    Andrew

Not only is it 'Kaskais-esque', but I really like it.

Sky looks great - I think you needed to un-detail the sky that much to get this effect.

Not very 'Donald-esque', but I do like it!

Real Name
    Shane

I like it too Donald. My only wish is that the sheep were facing the other way 'roud. There is a quote or a piece of advice on photography I read somewhere that it is hard to be attracted to an image of the 'southbound' end of an animal headed northbound. In this situation though, there wasn't a lot you could do about that issue and your PP work on this image is fantastic!

Real Name
    Pete

I like this too, Don.
    I think the animal (with complete respect to others) is actually facing the right way as it would probably creat too much tension if it were looking out of the frame while standing so close to it (just my opinion). This would be completely fine if that is what was intended though, it just seem that tranquility and peacefulness are themes intended here.

At first I thought that the bird was a distraction for those afore mentioned themes as was the other stuff on the right, but then, with the presence of the bird I think the other stuff helps to anchore the eye in the image as it moves in a circular motion (circular in a trianglish kind of way). I think I would love to see this with no bird or other stuff apart from the sheep, and a masterpiece of simple beauty it would be

... or what about the image with only the bird, that would be very cool (IMO)!

Thanks for sharing that, Donald

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    ... I read somewhere that it is hard to be attracted to an image of the 'southbound' end of an animal headed northbound.
    Shane - You mean like ..............

Flypast

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions and ideas.

And I will try not to have 'senior moments' and write '- esk' when I mean '- esque'. Quite worrying that!

I'm glad that you think the sky works. That was the real attraction of the shot and the element within the shot that I could clearly 'see' in terms of the final look of the image.

There is a quote or a piece of advice on photography I read somewhere that it is hard to be attracted to an image of the 'southbound' end of an animal headed northbound.
    I saw a presentation by Franz Lanting in which there was one photo that was so good that the audience responded to literally with a gasp. It was a photo of the southbound end of three northbound zebras in an expansive African landscape. Perhaps the most inspiring photos are the photos that effectively break the most important rules?

Real Name
    Mike

Donald, I think you got the most out of the sky you could. It looks natural, as if that is what you saw as compared to how some images end up looking. If you have a long vertical space, a 16x9 vertical crop would take out the buildings! That would be a major deviation from your usual.

The sheep look good here & you captured the bird in an ideal flying position that looks good. I wondered what it would look like if you could have snuck around the the other side of the knoll and got everyone facing you and the background drops off behind the sheep...

Real Name
    Christina

That sheep photo is magnificent in every way... All your B&W photos have an ethereal feel to them... I think you have said that you always picture everything in B&W, and look for lines, tone and texture... But I'd like to know how you achieve that ethereal feel. Is it the light? Simply your great talent?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    But I'd like to know how you achieve that ethereal feel. Is it the light? Simply your great talent?
    Probably my stunning good looks have a lot to do with it!

I think, Christina, that ln the case of my images to which you might apply that description, it's about the light. Hopefully, what I do is make the best job possible of capturing the photograph and then bring out the best in it during post-processing.

What I definitely do, unashamedly, is enjoy the feeling that photography has encouraged and enabled me to see light in a way that I most certainly never saw it before. And I find myself being drawn to the type of light that you see in this and, I hope, other of my images.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd April 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you for sharing. I thought so. Good to know.

Real Name
    Shane

Shane - You mean like ..............
    Awesome response and image Donald! Thanks for making me smile.

Awesome response
    If not highly predictable, Shane. Donald's self-proclaimed stuff about his good looks has come to be expected around here. I let him get away with it because he really does know his stuff around a wine store.

Real Name
    Harry

Works for me Donald - A nice peaceful feel to it - great capture