Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flash composition

Real Name
    Thilak

Flash composition

Hi Friends,

I wanna to take a pic by darkening the forground and bright background. How do I do that.

I tried a Tree with Sun as background.

In Manual mode I under exposed the picture but I'm not getting what i waant.

I heard that we need to use Flash composition for the same.

please provide your inputs

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Flash composition

It's hard to answer your question without seeing the the image you tried to take. It would also be useful to know what equipment you are using to try to do this.

Based on your description, that involves the setup you describe, it sounds like you have a backlit tree that you are trying to brighten up with fill flash? Am I reading your intent correctly?

You will have to adjust your exposure so the tree is properly exposed (get a reading by spot metering the tree). This will correctly expose the tree and your background will be quite bright. It also sounds like you are trying to add some fill light to brighten up the tree. Small flash or even studio lighting is not going be powerful enough to get a full-grown tree, so I hope that the tree is quite small.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 2nd April 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Gererally you control the ambient light with your shutter speed (high speed sync is very helpful) and control the intensity of the fill flash with your aperture. However, as Manfred pointed out; it would be difficult to cover an entire big tree with a hotshoe flash.

Here is a YouTube video which explains the use of shutter speed + f/stop to control overall flash fill imagery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUbus-TArmE

Real Name
    Terry

As Manfred mentioned Thilak, you may have to be more specific to get some help with what you are looking for. Including posting the shot you are trying to improve.

Would this be a close example of what you are asking?

Flash composition