Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dimples

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Dimples

The dimple that is at the bottom of many wine bottles is called the punt. There are a lot of theories about why wine bottles were originally made with a punt, but my guess is that the only reason they are still being used today is because so many segments of the wine industry are hellbent on maintaining tradition. (That's true even when it is to the industry's detriment, but don't get me going on that.)

You would think that wine bottles made with punts would be made of colored glass, another tradition. Not these wine bottles. They're made of clear glass.

Photo #1
    Dimples

Photo #2
    Dimples

Photo #3
    Dimples

Real Name
    Robert

Re: Dimples

Love the images- well done- liking monochromes.
    and just a comment-
    Re the punts- if glass bottles had a perfectly flat base it would make the glass more prone to exploding breakage under pressure. The dimple gives strength to the glass. Likewise aluminum drink cans have a similar punt- ever noticed how a sealed drink can may pop out the base with gas pressure if it gets to hot.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I like two and three. Both are close to having a slick advertising look.

Karm

I also prefer the mood of the last two, Karm. Thanks for noticing that!

Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    liking monochromes.
    WARNING: They can become addictive.

if glass bottles had a perfectly flat base it would make the glass more prone to exploding breakage under pressure. The dimple gives strength to the glass.
    Yes, but some wine bottles have only a very slight concave shape at the bottom measuring only about 1/8" (about 3 mm) that would not be called a dimple. That's as opposed to a typical wine bottle that has a dimple that is about 1 inch (about 25 mm). The bottle with only a slight concave shape that I just now looked at has a smaller than average diameter at the bottom, so that may be at least part of the explanation as to why it has no dimple.

Real Name
    Jon

Well Mike, you have done it again...Very impressive images.
    I have come back to these several times and #2 is by far my favorite of this set.
    Thanks for giving me another "something" to strive for.

Real Name
    Kenny

No 3 then No 2 for me, both giving something quite different, No 3 being a statement for me while No 2 puts me in a contemplative mood. I have always been told that a bigger punt indicates a better wine and this is something I have and continue to put a lot of research into!! My current bottle of Bordeaux has a smaller punt than the St Emilion I enjoyed the other night but am I enjoying it any less......... I better have another glass to contemplate along with another viewing of No 2!!!!

Thanks, John and Kenny!

Kenny, continue on with your at-home research. I actually wouldn't be surprised to learn that a really expensive Bordeaux has a larger dimple than other wine bottles. If so, the only reason I can think of would be that the larger dimple would make it easier to insert the thumb for holding the bottle by the end, which is one of those wine traditions that has nothing to do with the quality of the wine or the enjoyment of drinking it.

Real Name
    John

You are really breaking the bottle down to its elements. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You are really breaking the bottle down to its elements.
    Thank you, but please don't use that word, "breaking." As you know, when it comes to glass, my wife and I already suffer from that affliction.