Thread: Street..

Real Name
    Bobo

Street..

Couple of things that caught my attention on the recent walkabout.

Do the 2 different b/w treatments work ?

Thanks for viewing.

Street..

Street..

Street..

Street..

Street..

Real Name
    John

Re: Street..

Are you comparing 1-2 with 3-4? if so, 3-4 work but 1-2 or even a sepia treatment would also work. #4 works better than #3 and I think its because your darks are edging towards or already black and they are just too stark for this image, too close to the foreground.

Nice captures.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The last one is terrifically fun, though you should be ashamed of yourself for putting that boot there just to grab a pic.

I wish I had seen the monochromes in two different threads. That's because the second pair has a blue tone compared to the brown tone in the first pair. However, the second pair may actually not be toned, so to speak.

I like the conversion in the second pair much better. The brown tone leaves the first pair appearing a bit flat for me, and I don't think it's because of a lack of contrast, though adding more contrast might help. Perhaps I'd like to see a less aggressive or more aggressive brown tone, though I'm not sure.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John, Mike - valuable conversion lessons learned.

I did not push the contrasts in 1-2 too much for fear of blowing the whites. Particular the dominant shirt in 1.

will try some reworks to see what comes up.

The boot, the boot - I was looking everywhere for the other one so can only assume the owner has only one leg. I liked the give the dreary sky the boot look hehe.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The last one is terrifically fun, though you should be ashamed of yourself for putting that boot there just to grab a pic.

I wish I had seen the monochromes in two different threads. That's because the second pair has a blue tone compared to the brown tone in the first pair. However, the second pair may actually not be "toned", so to speak.

I like the conversion in the second pair much better. The brown tone leaves the first pair appearing a bit flat for me, and I don't think it's because of a lack of contrast, though adding more contrast might help. Perhaps I'd like to see a less aggressive or more aggressive brown tone, though I'm not sure.
    Interesting, engaging shots, Bobo.

I'm trying to figure out what my affects my preference for sepia vs. "true B&W" monochrome. I am coming up with the idea that I prefer the former for more formal depictions, (portraits, or set-up shots for groups, if people), and the latter for shots conveying spontaneity, immediacy, and grit. This formulation may be more based on a habit of mind based on what I've seen rather than an esthetic principle divorced from experience - historic photos being so often sepia-toned, usually formal depictions. Contemporary use of sepia toning is to me associated with creation of an historic/faux historic feel. I hope some of you can discuss this intelligently...

Real Name
    Bobo

I am not up to that level of discussion hehe

3 and 4 were originally like 1-2 but did not convey a "feeling" as it was a cold dreary day. Particularly 4 showing the grandfather showing the girl the scene above her usual height and the somewhat scared but trusting lean inwards of the kid. It would have been great if her left arm had been wrapped around his neck.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for that.

#3 is cool. That dude was watching you take that shot - what was his reaction? I'm too shy to do street shots like that - I'm apprehensive about being perceived as intrusive/invasive. Any advice?

Another issue ethical... I don't suppose anyone wants to wade into that.

Real Name
    Bobo

Hehe. It is hard for a "victim" to tell when one is using a zoom. I was taking some shots of boats to his right and just moved slightly left to get him in the frame. He certainly knew I was there but just walked past without comment.

I used to do quite a bit of street shots when I first got a DSLR about 2x years ago but have been doing it less and less nowadays. But if I am in a touristy area then I just let rip as everyone is carrying a camera and are very relaxed. I did have one unpleasant encounter last year but the guy chose the wrong guy to tangle with.

In those situations take a deep breath, compose yourself, take a deep breath - then reach for your mobile and say "right this is going on youtube" but I am calling the police first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I did not push the contrasts in 1-2 too much for fear of blowing the whites.
    I get the impression that many people seem to confuse dynamic range with contrast. Though increasing dynamic range can affect the amount of contrast by making whiter whites and blacker blacks, it's possible to increase the contrast without altering the lightest and darker tones. That's done by using an S-curve, which can be constructed to increase the contrast in the mid-tones while leaving the brightest and darkest tones unchanged.

Considering your concern about the man's shirt, keep in mind that after applying a curve that affects the entire photo, you can select the shirt and apply a curve to fine-tune that area of the photo.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike.

Had a go at 1 and came up with this
    Street..

I like everything about that version a lot more. The revised crop, the toning and whatever else that you did makes the subject stand out more while adding a softness that nicely complements the man's facial expression and body language. Well done!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks again Mike. Just 2 S-curves as you suggested and a new crop.

Problem with many shots is that is that it takes someone other than myself to "see" the image. I can "see" the image when it is shot but when it comes to presentation ... grrrr