Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first attempt at some abstracts...

Real Name
    kevin

first attempt at some abstracts...

hope this does it...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st April 2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: swapped pictures into first post

Real Name
    Dave

Re: first attempt at some abstracts...

Yep, that's done it!

Real Name
    Frank Deland

These are imaginative photos, but my preference is to see a bit sharper images, not so much in the background, but on the foreground, for example the bubbles.

Real Name
    George

Very nice Kevin, They have a bit of a fractal quality. Like the colors in the second best.
    George

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like your colors, especially the colors of #2, but for some reason that I can't explain, the patterns don't do anything for me. I realize that that's the challenge of an abstract and that abstracts might be the most subjective of all forms of photography, so take the critique into account only if you see fit.

Real Name
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rambler4466 View Post
    These are imaginative photos, but my preference is to see a bit sharper images, not so much in the background, but on the foreground, for example the bubbles.
    I was a bit surprised by that myself, the lens was inches from the surface and i manual focused with the em5's mf assist...

Real Name
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by geoz View Post
    Very nice Kevin, They have a bit of a fractal quality. Like the colors in the second best.
    George
    thanks, I'll try again soon

Real Name
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like your colors, especially the colors of #2, but for some reason that I can't explain, the patterns don't do anything for me. I realize that that's the challenge of an abstract and that abstracts might be the most subjective of all forms of photography, so take the critique into account only if you see fit.
    perhaps different viscosity of oil will produce different shapes and patterns, this was olive oil.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by movielvr View Post
    I was a bit surprised by that [softness] myself, the lens was inches from the surface and i manual focused with the em5's mf assist...
    If your camera has Live View that can be zoomed, use manual focus and adjust it when you are viewing the maximum magnification.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

For me, the colors overwhelm the shapes. While you may not be interested in black and white, desaturating the images can give you a sense of the shapes and lines at play. You can then revisit the colors and find a level of saturation along with the hues that really enhance the shots. Or, go monochrome. My main impression now is glowing, colored light.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    For me, the colors overwhelm the shapes. While you may not be interested in black and white, desaturating the images can give you a sense of the shapes and lines at play. You can then revisit the colors and find a level of saturation along with the hues that really enhance the shots. Or, go monochrome. My main impression now is glowing, colored light.
    I agree. Just had to give it a go:

I opened it as a raw file in PSE6 so I could use ACR's more comprehensive sharpening to try for a 3D effect. Reduced the saturation and upped the blacks a bit to slightly increase contrast.

Amount 100
    Radius 2
    Detail 100
    Mask 80

Extreme sharpness settings to bring out the bubble outlines but hold the background in check.

Saturation -60
    Blacks 16

All settings refer to ACR 5.4
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 31st March 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Hey Kevin. Can I be honest? I like the colours, but that's about it. I'm not sure what it is, and it may just be that I'm not a huge fan of abstract photos..... But the subject is too obvious to be totally abstract, it is lacking focus - as previously mentioned, and I find that the mini bubbles detract from the larger shapes. Great idea, maybe just not executed as well as it could have been.

I hope you don't mind my critique - it is of course, just my opinion, not a professional assessment.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I frequently find that I get an error message when I use the CHTUPFYC button on this page I am writing, but if I click on the 'GO ADVANCED' button I get the same CHTUPFYC button which works.
    To post more than one image I find I have to post and then edit to get the tinypix option again.
    Though usually I combine images in my editor and post the composite as a single file.

The only improvement I can think off is a button to add a second image after selecting the first image, or something.

Real Name
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I agree. Just had to give it a go:

I opened it as a raw file in PSE6 so I could use ACR's more comprehensive sharpening to try for a 3D effect. Reduced the saturation and upped the blacks a bit to slightly increase contrast.

Amount 100
    Radius 2
    Detail 100
    Mask 80

Extreme sharpness settings to bring out the bubble outlines but hold the background in check.

Saturation -60
    Blacks 16

All settings refer to ACR 5.4
    can i see the whole image?

Real Name
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Kevin. Can I be honest? I like the colours, but that's about it. I'm not sure what it is, and it may just be that I'm not a huge fan of abstract photos..... But the subject is too obvious to be totally abstract, it is lacking focus - as previously mentioned, and I find that the mini bubbles detract from the larger shapes. Great idea, maybe just not executed as well as it could have been.

I hope you don't mind my critique - it is of course, just my opinion, not a professional assessment.
    say what you like...ty for the response

Real Name
    Ted

Not sure what that means? That was the whole image as you posted it with just the top half modified. I can post your image all modified if you like, but it's really your image, not mine, and my post was really just a f'rinstance - you could probably do just as well or better.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    To post more than one image I find I have to post and then edit to get the tinypix option again.
    Though usually I combine images in my editor and post the composite as a single file.

The only improvement I can think off is a button to add a second image after selecting the first image, or something.
    Hi "jcuknz",

There is a link which allows this already.

From the Tips section in the Help thread:-

For second and subsequent uploads; you click the small "Upload" link that sits between the wobbly "tinypic" word and "Sign In" link in their dialog, not the big "Click Here ..." button in the forum.

HTH,

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

xpatUSA:

Yes, he wants to see your whole, edited version. I think you have started to reveal the image in a way--bringing out more distinct shapes. Which is a kind of funny criticism from me: I usually celebrate color over shape. But, a balance is good and I think you are pointing out a direction toward that. Obviously, the op is the ultimate judge, but he may not even know the tricks you are using (they may seem simple to you) and may need some guidance or a rope.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    xpatUSA: Yes, he wants to see your whole, edited version. I think you have started to reveal the image in a way--bringing out more distinct shapes. Which is a kind of funny criticism from me: I usually celebrate color over shape. But, a balance is good and I think you are pointing out a direction toward that. Obviously, the op is the ultimate judge, but he may not even know the tricks you are using (they may seem simple to you) and may need some guidance or a rope.

I had deleted the modified full size image after merging the two, so I redid it, following the settings listed in my original post:

I brought his JPEG into Elements (PSE 6) where it was "opened as" a RAW file, which opened it in Adobe Camera RAW 5.4. I adjusted the sliders more or less per your critique. Over-sharpened to bring out the bubbles and dividing lines but with a high amount of masking to leave the softer parts soft. Desaturated to reduce the color impact and the lower luminance values moved towards black to give a little more contrast.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 2nd April 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

Just to let u know it's in a temporary folder on my website and could get deleted on my next cleaning up session . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast