Thread: Canon SX50 - Airliners flying above my head

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Canon SX50 - Airliners flying above my head

Hello everyone,

Although I've registered in the forum almost two years ago, I've never posted here, mainly because I think my amateurish skills are well below the general level in this forum.

Today I decided to make a try with some of the airliner shots I made with my camera. My shooting technique is rather primitive, I just pan after the target with the camera hand held and among several duds there is sometimes also useable images:

Taster:
    Canon SX50 - Airliners flying above my head

7 more here:
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...p?albumid=2940

Thank you for watching,

Augustin Man
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th March 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added image in line

Re: Canon SX50 - Airliners flying above my head

Don't worry about posting photos here, Augustin. Everybody is welcome, and there isn't any skill level test. In fact, many of the less than perfect images are actually more interesting than a perfect but boring scene.

I can't see your shooting information with those photos but most have worked out OK. A couple are slightly blurred but that might be more to do with atmospheric conditions than any fault of your shooting. The exposure is good on what are always difficult subjects.

Personally, I always seem to think that aircraft shots look better when the plane is moving across the image, or upwards. Somehow those facing downwards look as though they are crashing. Is it just me or do other people think the same.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Augustin,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

I have tried this with my Nikon P510 (1000mm FFE) on occasion but your results are better - and that's not just because you have 1200mm FFE, perhaps the Transylvanian air is clearer than UK air

I have added one of your shots to your post to tempt people to the album.

I believe these are flying at above 30,000 feet (to make contrails), so they are some 5 miles away, making the results quite amazing really.

Cheers,

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Augustin, really cool photo. Like the trailers on the far left side. Augustin, don't be afraid to post. We all post to improve our photography.

Karm

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Thank you very much for giving me confidence! I was actually disappointed because I couldn't insert images directly from my computer, so I made a small album in which the EXIF information didn't appear, I don't know why.

The PP-ing of images was also very simple, just some contrast, sharpening and noise removal; then I trimmed the images to the 1600X1200 size and that was all. You're right, I should probably rotate the vertical direction shots...

These are however just hobby shots, because as you know the planes in fly are usually shot with Dobson telescopes attached to the camera, like here:

http://extremespotting.com/portal.php

All the best,

Augustin

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Thank you very much for encouraging me!

I have also the P510 camera, as I'm a hobbyist "zoom addict" , but Canon has less noise. As I go out targeting planes, I look first on Flightradar (flightradar24.com) and generally their altitude is around 12000m and the speed some 900km/h.

You're right: that the atmosphere, the position of the plane and the Sun and several other factors are decisive for getting a dud or a usable image, so that skill is of almost no importance.

Happy shooting,

Augustin

P.S. Thank you for the photo deployment. Please tell me if I can't insert an image directly from my computer. Thanks!
    Last edited by Augustin Man; 30th March 2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling error

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Thank very much Karm for your nice comment!

I tried to reply to everyone which encouraged me, be I'm somehow baffled that my replies are displayed one after another and not each after the comment I wrote it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much,

Augustin

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Augustin Man View Post
    ... I'm somehow baffled that my replies are displayed one after another and not each after the comment I wrote it.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Augustin - No you're not. Posts are ordered chronologically. So If someone posted at message at 1000 hours and someone else and 1001 hours and you replied to the first one at 1002 hours, then your reply will appear third in the list.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th March 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Thank you very much for the explanation, Donald!

Thinking about it, it's easy to put at the beginning of my replies the name of the forum member I'm answering to.

Augustin

Real Name

Hi Augustin,

Quote Originally Posted by Augustin Man View Post
    Thinking about it, it's easy to put at the beginning of my replies the name of the forum member I'm answering to.
    Or you could click "Reply With Quote", instead of "Reply", like I just did.

It often helps to trim some excess from within the quote, like I did by removing the first and last lines, to concentrate on the specific bits we are replying to.

However, what you suggest is another perfectly acceptable method that many use.

Cheers,

Have you tried the Tinypics option for uploading photos, Augustin?

More information here HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

If you get any problems with this method, as I sometimes do, try switching to the Go Advanced alternative instead of Post Quick Reply.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Have you tried the Tinypics option for uploading photos, Augustin?

More information here HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

If you get any problems with this method, as I sometimes do, try switching to the Go Advanced alternative instead of Post Quick Reply.
    Thank you very much! Dave has already teached me how to upload my images within the text, so I made the action in my all other threads. Here, as I've already put them in an album, I'll left the images where they are.

Thank you again,

Augustin

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Augustin,
    Your pictures are really very good and are the best photos I saw of this type, taken with a superzoom camera.
    Did you use RAW?
    Best regards,
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    Augustin,
    Your pictures are really very good and are the best photos I saw of this type, taken with a superzoom camera.
    Did you use RAW?
    Best regards,
    Antonio.
    Thank you very much for your nice comment! I shot the planes in JPEG and the PP was minimal: just some sharpening and noise reduction. I think that in shooting cruising airliners so many concurrent factors occur that skill is almost of no importance. I'm just panning the plane and that is all: some shots (most of them) are duds, some are usable and sometimes I even get interesting moments...

I'm sorry I'd like to load here some images, but I received the message:"This IP address has been banned for violating our Terms of Use" (???), so I'll give you the links to other forums:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/86...344/img_2824pt

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/86...69/dscn1870ptf

Best regards,

Augustin

That 'banned' notice seems to be an odd quirk which sometimes appears with no apparent reason. Uploading again on a different day often works with no problems.

Real Name

Hi Augustin,

Geoff is correct, here is the standard reply I have to explain it;

Very rarely a member will suddenly find themselves unable to upload any pictures to TinyPic and will receive a message that their IP address was responsible for uploading unsuitable material. This can be quite worrying, but due to the way some ISP (Internet Service Providers) use dynamic IP addresses for their customers, it is usually only a temporary problem where the one you get (for a day or so) happens to = the one the real culprits used. TinyPic doesn't/can't differentiate, but they still 'ban' the address (I guess they have to do something). If this happens; usually switching your router/switch off for 5 minutes, and on again, cures it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but these things occur outside of CiC, so there's nothing we can do.
    I hope that helps,

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Augustin,

Geoff is correct, here is the standard reply I have to explain it;

I hope that helps,
    Thank you very much, Dave! Odd is however that I retried my attempt two times with the same result...

All the best,

Augustin