Thread: Some advice needed please

Real Name
    Stephen

Some advice needed please

My daughter recently gave birth to a baby boy and I took alot of shots in the hospital room
    without using my flash to avoid hurting the eyes especially of the baby.

My camera body is D700 and my lens is Nikkor 24 - 70, f/2.8

Since my daughter asked me not to use the flash, I raised the ISO to 6400, using aperture 2.8

When the photographs were downloaded onto my computer, everything looked fine but when
    we sent to the photoshop for print, the skin of everybody were yellow/orangee in colour; same
    as the lights in the hospital room.

As I am a newbie in photography and am still learning and horning my skills, appreciate it if anyone
    can kindly provide me with some advice on what I should do please.

Thank You in advance.

Stephen

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Some advice needed please

Stephen, I am no expert but before I make any suggestions first let me say congratulations on becoming a Grandpa!

The first thing that comes to mind is your white balance setting - if you have any photo editing software you should be able to change the white balance and remove the orange/yellow cast from your images by simply adjusting the color temperature. See this tutorial: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...te-balance.htm

If you post a sample image you may get better feedback as to how post processing could improve the image(s). If you decide to go that route also specify whether you are shooting in RAW or JPEG as this will impact some post processing options (you will have more if you shot in RAW).

PS - A quick edit of your profile will allow you to share your first name and location with everyone...we are a friendly bunch here and are on a first name basis

Real Name
    Martin

Agreed... it's probably a white balance issue. Post a picture and let some of the gurus here take a crack at the colouring.

Congrats on being a grandparent. I'm a few years from that (I hope!)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Make sure the images are in sRGB colourspace too.

If you can, post an example (preferably with something with in it, and with some skintone) so we can see what it takes to balance it correctly.

Real Name
    Dan

Congratulations!

As others have said, this is probably a white balance problem, and if so, it should be easy to fix it to some degree, but assuming that you shot jpeg, it might not be easy to fix it 100%.

Now that you are a grandpa, I have a related suggestion: get yourself an external flash with a movable head that lets you bounce the flash off the ceiling or another surface. This is ideal for candids of kids: no blinding flash, no red-eye, and none of the ugly exaggerated contrast and shine that direct flash can give you. If the flash you buy does not have a build in bounce card, consider buying one of those, e.g., one of the Demb Flip-Its, to give you a little catch light in the eyes. There is lots of more elaborate lighting that one could use, but this simple setup is enough to get you very good photos of kids.

Real Name
    Mike

Congrats Gramps! I have nothing more to add, all the suggestions above are right. Except, I would add to Dan's comment about using bounced flash- one source I found with good info on that subject is Neil van Niekerk's website- Neil has mastered bounce flash techniques and provides a very nice instructional blog on that topic that I found very helpful in improving my flash skills.

Real Name
    Stephen

Thanks a million distinguished members for your advice/comments. I appreciate it.

I will surely look up my D700 manual on White Balance and also read up some of
    my photography books on the subject to try to understand it better.

Cheers!

Stephen

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Congratulations also from my keyboard, Stephen!

Don't overlook Collin's comment about making sure that the files you sent to the printer are in the sRGB color space. If you're new to this stuff, it's best to post a photo as others have suggested. We might be able to determine the color space for you.

If you shot RAW files, one quick solution to your White Balance issue, if indeed that is one of the issues, is to download Nikon View NX2 software, which is free. You'll see some preset white balance configurations there that will automatically change your RAW file. Those configurations are designed by Nikon to work effectively with Nikon RAW files (not that other third-party software doesn't do at least a reasonably good job of that these days).

Considering that you're new here, I also recommend that you use the CiC tutorials to understand this stuff. They're really excellent and often require less time than reading information provided in books.

Though looking up stuff about White Balance in the D700 manual might help you when capturing other photos in the future, that information won't help you with the photos that you have already taken.