Thread: Need tips to improve the lighting technique

Real Name
    Sammy Adams

Need tips to improve the lighting technique

I would appreciate any C&C from anyone with any ideas for lighting technique, editing etc

Sony A77, Exposure time : 1/60sec. ; F-stop: f/8; ISO : 200 ; 1 wireless flash

Sony A77, Exposure time : 1/250sec. ; F-stop: f/9; ISO : 200 ; 1 wireless flash

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Need tips to improve the lighting technique

Sammy,
    Looks like you have some good models to work with. Im not sure if you were intending the flash to be that harsh, especially in the second image.

I have found a couple sites that has great information on lighting and Ive used their tips with good results: Strobist & Neil van Niekerk. Maybe you will also find them helpful as well?

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th March 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add dot to make links obvious

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Sammy,

With regards to the first image ...

- Keep in mind that our eyes are drawn to the brightest part of an image - and here you have the "window" (or whatever it is) giving access to outside, which in my opinion competes (successfully) against the models face.

- You don't appeared to have diffused the flash, so it's made for some very hard shadows, which I don't think are as flattering as a softer light would have been.

- You've got a large black area in the image - completely devoid of what could have been interesting detail.

So overall, I think the location looks like it would be very interesting, but I wouldn't have done it just like that.

With regards to the 2nd image ...

- Great concept, but I think you've blown the tones on the portion of the model's face facing the light

- Personally, I think there's a little bit too much above the model's / shadows head that isn't strong enough to warrant being there.

Here's one that I shot in a similar location that you might like to compare the above points to ...

Real Name
    Sammy Adams

@mike : thanks mike, i'll bookmark n read that page
    @colin : thanks colin, next session i'll add diffuser too reduce the shadow
    i have a question, what is the difference between a under exposure/ over exposure with a low key / hi key photo? i have see some friends photo and they say its low key, what i see is under exposure photo..is there a misunderstanding in my concept?
    Sorry for my bad english

cheers

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    i have a question, what is the difference between a under exposure/ over exposure with a low key / hi key photo? i have see some friends photo and they say its low key, what i see is under exposure photo..is there a misunderstanding in my concept?
    Low-key is where tones are predominately dark, high-key is where they're predominantly light. An under-exposed photo would technically be (tending towards) low key -- the difference is that it's probably not supposed to be.

Here's a high-key example - it's high-key because the tones are shifted towards white - so from that respect they're over-exposed, but the effect is intentional. an accidentally over-exposed image probably wouldn't have many blacks in it.

Real Name
    Sammy Adams

@ colin : Thanks for the explanation, very much appreciated