Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just new here!

Just new here!

Hey guys!

I bought myself a camera yesterday and im very excited to discover this type of art. I've been browsing pictures from member all day long at work (was a very productive day haha) and i figured i could join and post the picture i achive!

i'm posting my first picture, its not as spectacular as the rest of what ive seen on the site but hey! Need to start somewhere

Cheers

Just new here!
    Last edited by ahv; 28th March 2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: picture didnt work :S

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Just new here!

Good evening ahv (names are nice, we are a polite group here) and welcome to the forum,
    Looks like a nice beginning. Some great textures. They look as if they have been dry for quite some time.
    The image seems to have been taken with on-camera flash resulting in some very harsh shadows - and after looking through a camera eyepiece all day long (or on the computer screen) my eyes are somewhat sensitive to harsh.
    If you don't have external flash available, try setting the flowers near a window (not with the sun coming through). You may need to find out how to raise the iso so the shutter speed remains okay. As the light source is much larger, it will help the shadows a lot and make the image less harsh.
    Looking forward to more of your work.
    Graham

Real Name
    Matthew

Welcome to the forums. I think you will have a ton of fun exploring and learning photography, especially with the great crowd on the forums here.

One tip with photography, especially the type of shot you shared here, is to watch the background. For a shot like this, you may want to try putting a white or black sheet in the background so the subject stands out and there are no distractions showing. OR you could put them in front of or on top of something with an nice texture or color, like an old wood table or something.

Go out and shoot some pics!

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Good evening ahv (names are nice, we are a polite group here)
    Graham
    Fixed! sorry for the inconvenient

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    The image seems to have been taken with on-camera flash resulting in some very harsh shadows - and after looking through a camera eyepiece all day long (or on the computer screen) my eyes are somewhat sensitive to harsh.
    If you don't have external flash available, try setting the flowers near a window (not with the sun coming through). You may need to find out how to raise the iso so the shutter speed remains okay. As the light source is much larger, it will help the shadows a lot and make the image less harsh.
    Looking forward to more of your work.
    Graham
    Outstanding, thanks for the info i will try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    One tip with photography, especially the type of shot you shared here, is to watch the background. For a shot like this, you may want to try putting a white or black sheet in the background so the subject stands out and there are no distractions showing. OR you could put them in front of or on top of something with an nice texture or color, like an old wood table or something.
    Go out and shoot some pics!
    completely agreed, i have to admit that there is more appealing things then my basement's rafter haha. Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by JimG; 28th March 2013 at 05:06 AM.