Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Road to Intercourse… and I'm back

Real Name
    Mike

Road to Intercourse… and I'm back

About 6 months ago after the passing of our dog, I found myself needing a break from spending so much time participating online. So I pulled back and focused on life, taking online photography training from Lynda.com, and working on improving my photo skills in general. One reason I pulled back from CiC (with some occasional snooping) was because this is such a good site with good people and knowledge. I was spending too much time reading here!

First thing I see when I came back this morning was the Nik Software special- something that has been too expensive until now! Im not sure If I went overboard here, but I was playing around with it and heres an image from yesterday morning. From Silver efex pro 2, Classic, yellowing 2. Comment away!

Yes, we do have towns here with weird names… Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball to name a few!

Road to Intercourse by MikePhoto63, on Flickr
    Last edited by Harpo; 27th March 2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Larger pic as requested

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Road to Intercourse… and I'm back

Good shot and processing for that old West look. Well done.

Welcome back.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Mike, I really like your picture.

Karm

Real Name
    Lex

That's a really good shot. Exposure's basically perfect, and though I suspect there are some blown highlights and shadows, it doesn't really hurt this shot. There's a great sense of motion, and you can really feel the environment. Good job keeping the trees and farm visible in the background.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This image is so nice that the only problem I can find with it is that it's way too small. I would really like to see a larger version of it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just want to add my compliments. It is, I think, a wonderful composition and it's superbly processed.

Real Name
    Mark

Well Mike, everybody wins, your glad you came back and found out about the software deal and we are glad to have you back posting your fantastic images. Thanks.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for the welcome backs and complements. Mike, I enlarged the picture for your viewing pleasure!

One of my weaknesses prior to this short hiatus was post processing and really understanding what I was doing with the camera. I was starting to come up with more and more shots that people said were very well put together, but I was duplicating settings of "successful" shots and not fully understanding why it worked. Anyone been there?

More clicking the shutter as opposed to the computer mouse plus the Lynda.com trainings on understanding light, composition, my camera more in depth and Aperture for post lead me to many "Ahh!" moments. Having a much better understanding of all the buttons, settings, sliders helps boost your confidence a bit! Its like many have said, keep playing & learning and it will finally come to you! Now that Ive had a breakthrough, Im looking forward to quickening my learning curve and enjoying photography more.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the larger version! It's clear that you're well on your way to making better photographs more often and enjoying the process more than ever.

Real Name
    Mark

Mike - I've spent much time in Amish country and really love that photograph. I also appreciate your discussion of mouse- vs. shutter clicking. I know what you mean.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Mike, what did you say the name is of the course you did?

Real Name
    Mike

Andre-
    Since its a paid training site (you pay a fee and access as much training as you want), I have been taking advantage of the variety of photography topics, learning more in depth about my particular camera and Aperture- the post processing program I have on my Mac.

I have a hearing loss, so the free instructional videos on the web are of no use to me without closed captioning (subtitles). There are a lot of good places to learn for free or for a cost and people need to find the the kind of instruction that fits their learning style.

Lynda.com works for me along with books from a variety of select authors.
    Last edited by Harpo; 27th March 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Mike,

What a great shot! I was raised in Allentown, with cousins, aunts and uncles throughout the area. Moved away for school in '59, and have missed the area mightily. This was a common sight for me and it brings back memories of great times with great, hospitable people. And the food . . .

It all makes me homesick.

Thanks for the memories.

Zen