Thread: Cold day out with my boys

Real Name
    Annette

Cold day out with my boys

So, I am still learning and I am trying to only share what I think are my best shots, until my best shots become more frequent. I was kind of proud of this one, my 15 and 18 year old at a local park.

Nikon D5200
    F/5.6
    Shutter 1/1000
    ISO 400
    Focal length 55
    No flash

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Cold day out with my boys

A very nice shot, Annette. I like the composition and overall feeling...

Real Name
    Annette

Thanks again. I really, really love this one. Out of the maybe 50 or 60 shots I took yesterday, this one is my favorite.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is a keeper, especially considering that it is of your family. I like that the two subjects stand out so well, but I wonder if I would like it even more if you had more contrast in the other areas of the image.

Regarding composition, it would make a better photo for me if the two boys were far enough back on the trail that you could see all of the bridge. Thus, the photo would be telling the story of them approaching the bridge from a bit of a distance. Doing so would also position the boys in accordance with the Rule of Thirds (even though I abhor the term, rule), which would make for a less static composition.

Notice also that the action is stopped at a point that their legs look a bit awkward. When the surface is level as it is here, I generally prefer the action stopped when both feet are on the ground with one foot forward of the other. Alternatively, I prefer when the forward foot is the one that is in the air.

Real Name
    Annette

Isn't it funny how the moment someone points out something, you see it. I totally see what you are saying about the bridge. As far as the feet, I kind of likes that the opposite feet were up in motion, but I can picture it the way you described, with the foot forward up. As far as the contrast, I may try to pull this in Photoshop and mess with that. Thanks for the critique, I really appreciate it.

Real Name
    Shane

Annette it is a lovely image of your boys and was well spotted. I get the feeling that the boys were have a nice chat and that is not often captured at that age - they are usually bickering about something or simply ignoring each other!

While the technicalities are not as important for a personal photo it is good to have the critique in mind so that future shots are improved. One thought I had was that a slight crop removing some of the left side so the boys are a little more off center might make the shot a bit more dynamic? Something else to think about if while you are taking a look at the PP processing again.

Real Name
    Annette

Thanks Shane, and yes, these two, have a history of not getting along. It's getting better though. It was the 18 year old who had the idea to go the park. He said "Mom, it's a great place to take photos". I took a lot of shots that day of of the waterfall, tunnels, the boys hanging out in the trees, posing etc... I felt this candid one of the two of them was the best one I got all day.

I appreciate the critique so much, and I take notes as well, to make sure I learn for the future. So thanks again.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Annette,

Great shot, but I'm going to be the bad guy here and suggest a few things that I think would improve it slightly (IMO anyway),

- I don't think all the space to the camera left of the boys "pulls it's weight", so I'd be tempted to crop about 1/2 of it off

- I think the midtones are slightly flat and could benefit from a touch with the burn tool

- It needs a little output sharpening.

Here's a quick edit to show what I mean ...

Real Name
    Annette

Colin, you aren't the bad guy. I appreciate honesty and opinions and constructive criticism, it's what CIC is here for, to learn. I like the crop and the adjustments you made. I think I was looking for more of a panorama feel to it, which is why I didn't crop in the first place, but you are right, that does make a huge difference. Thanks.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by annette71 View Post
    I think I was looking for more of a panorama feel to it, which is why I didn't crop in the first place, but you are right, that does make a huge difference. Thanks.
    You mean like this?

Real Name
    Annette

Colin, yep, pretty much just like that!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by annette71 View Post
    Colin, yep, pretty much just like that!
    Photoshop content-aware scaling is your friend!

Real Name
    Annette

Very nice.!