Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: invitation to visit the Aracaju oceanarium

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

invitation to visit the Aracaju oceanarium

I went to Aracaju, in the northeastern part of Brazil as guest of a wedding.
    Before the ceremony, I walked the beach and I saw the propaganda of the Aracaju Oeanarium.
    Unfortunately, the time wasn't enough to visit the Oceanarium, then I decided to take a photo to remember myself of visiting it on my next voyage to Aracaju.
    What can I do to improve this picture? Or it is a lost case? I'll try to do better in the coming opportunities.
    Antonio

1/800 - f/4.5 - ISO 80 - 66 mm FFE - Canon S100
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 24th March 2013 at 04:49 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: invitation to visit the Aracaju oceanarium

The composition is quite nice and indicates a lot of thought. The subject is immediately obvious and well balanced by the interesting cloud formation to the right of it.

The biggest problem has to do with post-processing. Notice that the sky is very light around the palm fronds and the tops of the trees and mountain. That's probably because your darkened the sky and didn't use a method of selecting the entire sky.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

I agree with Mike's comments about the skyline edge, the 'pale halo' is not something I would want to display.

I would also crop to lose the white kerb in the foreground, for the subject; the large advertising poster, it adds nothing.
    Beyond that, I guess you could clone out a few other 'distractions' such as the power line pole and transformer.

If it was just taken as a record shot of the advertisement, say for the name or phone number, why do you now wish to make more of it?
    ... and "learning" or "practice" are perfectly acceptable answers.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The composition is quite nice and indicates a lot of thought. The subject is immediately obvious and well balanced by the interesting cloud formation to the right of it.

The biggest problem has to do with post-processing. Notice that the sky is very light around the palm fronds and the tops of the trees and mountain. That's probably because your darkened the sky and didn't use a method of selecting the entire sky.
    Mike,
    I liked a lot because you have seen and commented on the photo I posted.
    You are right. Indeed, the PP was poorly done.
    With Elements 10, I increased the midtones contrast to 50 and the highlights contrast to 49. This combination caused the halos indicated by you.
    I did a new PP and I tried to fix the problem indicated by you. Also, I followed the suggestions from Dave.
    Please comment the new version of the photo and suggest which PP I should do (I have a lot to learn).
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Antonio,

I agree with Mike's comments about the skyline edge, the 'pale halo' is not something I would want to display.

I would also crop to lose the white kerb in the foreground, for the subject; the large advertising poster, it adds nothing.
    Beyond that, I guess you could clone out a few other 'distractions' such as the power line pole and transformer.

If it was just taken as a record shot of the advertisement, say for the name or phone number, why do you now wish to make more of it?
    ... and "learning" or "practice" are perfectly acceptable answers.

Cheers,

Dave,
    In Brazil, there is a saying "an image says more than a thousand words."
    My Canon S100 is almost always with me, so I preferred to take the photo of the poster than just writing the name and phone number of the place. But, as a photography enthusiast, I wanted to make a composition.
    Today, after seeing the picture, I found it interesting and thought: "how about sending it to the CiC and request C&C? Surely, I get useful information there and I can learn something."
    I reposted the photo after fixing the problem indicated by Mike and following your suggestions.
    I would like to know your comments about the new version of photo.
    Antonio.

This works so much better for me for several reasons. Considering that I mentioned the post-processing of the original, I like that the sky is now the same color around the palm fronds and the tree tops as elsewhere. I also like the color of the sky much more and I like Dave's idea to eliminate the curb.

Now that you have presented this new composition to us, consider cropping to eliminate all of the clear blue sky at the top; you don't need the height of the trees on the left to tell your story.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    I preferred to take the photo of the poster than just writing the name and phone number of the place. But, as a photography enthusiast, I wanted to make a composition.
    You accomplished that and got the added bonus of hopefully obtaining helpful critique. Well done in my mind!

Real Name

In turn, I like Mike's idea of taking a bit more off the top, making a bit more of a panorama.

You did take a little bit more off the bottom than I was intending, but having closely tried both options, I think this is better than what I had in mind. Good job on the cloning too.

Yes; "a picture is worth a thousand words" is how we say it

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This works so much better for me for several reasons. Considering that I mentioned the post-processing of the original, I like that the sky is now the same color around the palm fronds and the tree tops as elsewhere. I also like the color of the sky much more and I like Dave's idea to eliminate the curb.

Now that you have presented this new composition to us, consider cropping to eliminate all of the clear blue sky at the top; you don't need the height of the trees on the left to tell your story.

You accomplished that and got the added bonus of hopefully obtaining helpful critique. Well done in my mind!
    Mike,
    Following your advice, I prepared a new version of the photo. Please, tell me what you think about it.
    Thanks for your time and for your advices.
    Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    In turn, I like Mike's idea of taking a bit more off the top, making a bit more of a panorama.

You did take a little bit more off the bottom than I was intending, but having closely tried both options, I think this is better than what I had in mind. Good job on the cloning too.

Yes; "a picture is worth a thousand words" is how we say it
    Dave,
    In Portuguese, there are the two sayings, with the same meaning:
    "a picture is worth a thousand words"
    and
    "an image (or a picture) says more than a thousand words."
    Both are equally used here.
    Please, see the new version and tell me what you think about it.
    Thanks for your time and for your advices.
    Antonio.

I prefer leaving all or most of the cloud in the photo for three reasons. Doing so places the sign approximately according to the rule of thirds, which is a natural position of the subject. The cloud nicely provides weight that balances the sign. The palm fronds, which add interest, are more prominent.

Real Name

Hi Antonio,

I again agree with Mike, although I used the 'p' word (panorama), this was a more severe crop (vertically) than I was expecting.

I also think this one looks a tad over sharpened, not much - and it is a narrow radius, just that some of the tiny bits are beginning to 'sparkle'.

Now I look closely, the first is similar, while the second is just a tad under sharpened, somewhere between the 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd would be better I think.

Hope that helps,