Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: In the Rain

  1. #1
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    In the Rain

    Starting Image some processing done.
    In the Rain


    In the Rain
    f/5.6, 1/320sec/ ISO 800

    Lots of post processing.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 23rd March 2013 at 06:24 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,658
    Real Name
    Sergio

    Re: In the Rain

    I can see where you did some of the PP especially above her coat. Nonetheless, I really like the image.

    Sergio

  3. #3
    jeeperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,550
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: In the Rain

    Could be a very nice image with just a bit of clean up work. Mainly below the back tire and the brick area.

  4. #4
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by unmerited View Post
    I can see where you did some of the PP especially above her coat. Nonetheless, I really like the image.

    Sergio
    Thanks Sergio, I wanted to add some depth of field, the auto was a bit too in focus.

  5. #5
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Could be a very nice image with just a bit of clean up work. Mainly below the back tire and the brick area.
    Paul,

    Thanks for the critique.

  6. #6
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    I added the original to the first post.

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,035
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Thanks Sergio, I wanted to add some depth of field, the auto was a bit too in focus.
    Hi John,

    I think you need to apply that a bit wider then, the kerb and wall behind the side of the auto are way too sharp - and we can see the edges of where you didn't apply it - if I guess; it was applied with a mask that had unsuitable selection criteria.

    The subject is fine (nicely done), it is the background letting this one down - hope you don't mind me being blunt.

  8. #8
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi John,

    I think you need to apply that a bit wider then, the kerb and wall behind the side of the auto are way too sharp - and we can see the edges of where you didn't apply it - if I guess; it was applied with a mask that had unsuitable selection criteria.

    The subject is fine (nicely done), it is the background letting this one down - hope you don't mind me being blunt.
    Dave,

    I don't mind your bluntness at all. I'm new to the post processing steps and criticism is needed for me to succeed at it.

  9. #9
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    One last edit before calling it a day.
    In the Rain

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,334

    Re: In the Rain

    Looks better to me. Except for a tiny red/yellow streak near the wheel.

  11. #11
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Looks better to me. Except for a tiny red/yellow streak near the wheel.
    Thanks for the comments Geoff. I saw that immediately after I uploaded.

  12. #12
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: In the Rain

    Lovely photo for the mood and composition. I think your edit makes it perfect

  13. #13
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Lovely photo for the mood and composition. I think your edit makes it perfect
    Thanks Christina.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,651
    Real Name
    Shane

    Re: In the Rain

    I like this image quite a bit John. I'm not expert but I will offer one more PP suggestion - check out the foot and calf on the ground (her right) to see if you can get it as clear and sharp is the one in the air...

  15. #15
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    I like this image quite a bit John. I'm not expert but I will offer one more PP suggestion - check out the foot and calf on the ground (her right) to see if you can get it as clear and sharp is the one in the air...
    Shane,

    Thanks for the comments. I can give it a shot.

    I wonder if in photography (as we can in graphic arts) we can rely on the viewers imagination to fill in what isn't there, probably not?

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,651
    Real Name
    Shane

    Re: In the Rain

    John, that is an interesting question and one that I feel is very image specific. I think that somethings can be left to the imagination but in this case everything else is so clear the lack of clarity in that part stands out (for me anyways, but this is all subjective).

    I will say that you have a bit of an Orton Effect going on in this image that is very effective. In that, I mean that your subject has a bit of a glow about her which is very nice.

    If you make any headway in the PP of her foot I would love to see the result.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    17,884

    Re: In the Rain

    Just a quick comment, John, that the yellowish, warm skin tones don't work at all for me. The skin tones in the original look far better to me.

  18. #18
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,153
    Real Name
    John

    Re: In the Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Just a quick comment, John, that the yellowish, warm skin tones don't work at all for me. The skin tones in the original look far better to me.
    Mike,

    Comment noted.

    I usually keep my edits in a monthly folder, I need to setup specific folders for each project. Post processing is more challenging than I thought.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •