Thread: Cockatoos for Bobo

Real Name
    Harry

Cockatoos for Bobo/bird lovers - a few more this morning

After my visit to Cockatoo Island earlier in the year and no pics of Cockatoos to speak of, these fellows visited the trees outside my balcony yesterday, one of my first shoots with my new Sigma 120--400mm lens - all hand held - didnt want to miss them by grabbing the tripod! C&c welcome

1. 1/125, 5.6, iso 100
    Cockatoos for Bobo

2. 1/60, 5.6, iso 100
    Cockatoos for Bobo

3. 1/200,5.6, iso 200
    Cockatoos for Bobo

4. 1/500, 6.3, iso1600
    Cockatoos for Bobo

5. 1/500,6.3, iso 2000
    Cockatoos for Bobo
    Last edited by HAZZA; 26th March 2013 at 08:18 AM.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Re: Cockatoos for Bobo/bird lovers

Lovely images Harry Only suggestion I have is to give the bird a little more exposure and don't worry about the bg, will be high key !!! Sure wish I had them outside my window !!!!

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Aforns View Post
    Lovely images Harry Only suggestion I have is to give the bird a little more exposure and don't worry about the bg, will be high key !!! Sure wish I had them outside my window !!!!
    Thanks Alfred, will work on the exposure, cheers

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Harry, yes cockatoos are my favourite bird. I could watch them all day.

What mode were you shooting in?

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

The Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. Very common throughout Australia and a noisy bird which is territorial. Live mostly in hollow trees with its immediate family group. These shots could benefit from cropping, the foreground on 1. and the background on 4 & 5 as it is distracting and out of focus. I would not usually recommend adding saturation but it could be worth trying on 2. which is very nice with the sun behind it, perhaps a little more contrast too. Love this bird, it lives longer than 100 years all things going well and mates for life.

Real Name
    Greg

Also known for destroying timber decks and balconies and ... any wooden part of your home, actually.

Good captures, Harry. You have to seize the opportunity when it presents.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

If your in the bush and hear this bird it means water is nearby. They always live near creeks and billabongs so can be a good for survival as you can hear them miles away.

Real Name
    Harry

What mode were you shooting in?[/QUOTE]

Hi Bobo, will work on getting some more. I was shooting in Manual mode, auto ISO, it was late in the afternoon so light was changing quickly,

Cheers

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    The Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. Very common throughout Australia and a noisy bird which is territorial. Live mostly in hollow trees with its immediate family group. These shots could benefit from cropping, the foreground on 1. and the background on 4 & 5 as it is distracting and out of focus. I would not usually recommend adding saturation but it could be worth trying on 2. which is very nice with the sun behind it, perhaps a little more contrast too. Love this bird, it lives longer than 100 years all things going well and mates for life.
    Thanks Wayne, will spend some more time on PP, not one of my strong points at this stage

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Also known for destroying timber decks and balconies and ... any wooden part of your home, actually.

Good captures, Harry. You have to seize the opportunity when it presents.
    Thanks Greg, yes they caught me off guard as they don't usually stop off in these trees, they are good to watch in their natural environment

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Harry for the info. I was wondering why the ISO was jumping around so much.

I do manual 99% of the time but there are times when AV works better. Particularly in a white on bright situation similar to the one you had.

For the next time perhaps switch to evaluative metering, AV, + EC by 2/3 to 1, ISO fix it at 800. f5.6 or f8 probably should be fine unless you can go lower. The only thing you will need to adjust is the EC. You may need to adjust ISO to get a ballpark shutter speed of 500-1000 or thereabouts but iso 800 should be fine based on my own experiences of swans in the sky.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Harry for the info. I was wondering why the ISO was jumping around so much.

I do manual 99% of the time but there are times when AV works better. Particularly in a white on bright situation similar to the one you had.

For the next time perhaps switch to evaluative metering, AV, + EC by 2/3 to 1, ISO fix it at 800. f5.6 or f8 probably should be fine unless you can go lower. The only thing you will need to adjust is the EC. You may need to adjust ISO to get a ballpark shutter speed of 500-1000 or thereabouts but iso 800 should be fine based on my own experiences of swans in the sky.
    Thanks Bobo, will give that a go, appreciate the advice

Cheers

Real Name
    Harry

Ok Bobo - took your advice - managed to get a few this morning before work - not great compositions as the trees were an obstacle and the Cockatoos were buried in them a bit (apart from 2) - all evaluative metering as suggested - c & c appreciated - no pp yet apart from minor cropping
    1. 1/400, av 11, iso 400
    Cockatoos for Bobo
    2. 1/200, av 11, iso 400, exposure +1
    Cockatoos for Bobo
    3. 1/500, av 5.6, iso 400, exposure +1
    Cockatoos for Bobo

Real Name
    John

Very nice captures.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice captures.
    Thnx John, was happier with these than last weeks ones, cheers

Real Name
    Bobo

Now these new ones are truly excellent. #3 is spot on. #1 very good too but lighten it a bit in pp. #2 some highlights blowing but no biggie you will get it right soon enough.

Real Name
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Now these new ones are truly excellent. #3 is spot on. #1 very good too but lighten it a bit in pp. #2 some highlights blowing but no biggie you will get it right soon enough.
    Thanks Bobo - your advice really helped - no' 3 is my favourite as well, cheers