Thread: Lightroom 4 White Balance

Real Name
    Kenny

Lightroom 4 White Balance

Hi

I am having an odd problem with LR4. When I use the Whibal (small keychain version), LR won't use it to set the white balance. When I click on it, LR asks me to select a neutral color. Anybody else having this problem? I tried with a gray card and it worked fine. It's just with the white card.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lightroom 4 White Balance

I use the small whiBal with LR4 and used it with earlier versions, and I have never had a problem. However, the correct surface to use is the gray surface on the side with a white and black sticker, not the shiny white area. The sticker is to set white and black point. I never use the card for that purpose. Check out the pdf online.

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I use the small whiBal with LR4 and used it with earlier versions, and I have never had a problem. However, the correct surface to use is the gray surface on the side with a white and black sticker, not the shiny white area. The sticker is to set white and black point. I never use the card for that purpose. Check out the pdf online.
    Yes, sorry, I was not clear. I use the side with 12% grey. It always worked fine in LR3. Maybe I am angling it incorrectly or overexposing it.

Real Name
    Dan

Puzzling. Seems to me that angling it wrong would only cause an incorrect white balance, e.g., if the light striking from another angle had a different temperature. On the other hand, overexposing it might cause a problem because there might not be data for LR to read. However, I'm just speculating, because I have never encountered this.

Real Name
    Richard

I use the WhiBal Card and I am under the impression that if the card is not correctly tilted, the shiny decal on the card will indicate that.

http://whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/WhiBal/01/

Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I use the WhiBal Card and I am under the impression that if the card is not correctly tilted, the shiny decal on the card will indicate that.

http://whibalhost.com/_Tutorials/WhiBal/01/
    Mine is the small one. It doesn't have the decal on the gray side. G7, model WB7-KC I think.