Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D7000 remote shutter release

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Nikon D7000 remote shutter release

Hi everyone. I own a Nikon D 7000 and would like to take long exposure photography. I'm looking at a LCD cable release and for the life of me can not figure where to hook the cable. The camera manual is of no help at all. I'm leaning towards the LCD cable type because I can set the desired time it will do the rest. Any thoughts on this. I should also clarify that I'm interested in long night time exposure as well as day time. The contest picture " 40 Minutes in heaven" was just enough kick to push me over the edge. Help please!

Real Name
    Kathy

re: Nikon D7000 remote shutter release

The cable release port for the D7000 is on the left side, under the rubber doors. It's the one on the bottom right, below the HDMI port (p. 281 of your manual).

Real Name
    Allan Short

Al (good name) you can not get a LCD type calbe release from Nikon as they do not make one. If you want on search say google with Nikon D7000 remote timer release, I got one from Amazon but it is in my bag right now and I can not remember the name I believe it was about $40.00 US.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Thank you Kathy I guess I need to read my manual better.

Real Name
    Al Robinson

I found one made FOR a nikon by Bower $30.00 from Audorama. I knew that Nikon did not make an LCD cable release. Thank you for responding Allan. My Al is for Albert. And yes Al is a good name.....AL.

Real Name
    Robin

Quick word of warning:

Do you own a D700 (as in the post title) or do you own a D7000 as in the text?
    The reason I ask is the remote socket is not only in a different posistion on the two bodies they are a completely different type of fitting.

The D700 has the socket at the front under the lower of the two right covers.

Real Name
    Mark

i have this one it works well and comes with cables for both the d7000 & 700

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Contr...3593771&sr=1-1

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    i have this one it works well and comes with cables for both the d7000 & 700

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Contr...3593771&sr=1-1
    Mark, I have a D7000. Some how I must have forgotten a zero. I did find the door on the left side of my camera and took a look at the manual like Kathy Li told me about, and sure enough it was there. Waayyy in the back of the manual. As far as my preference is concerned, I think a cable LCD where I can set the desired time would be best for me over an infrared one. I certainly appreciate eveyone who helped me. That is why this is such a great web site filled with experienced and caring enthusiasts. Thank you everyone.
    Last edited by 8ball; 18th March 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon D7000 remote shutter release

Fixed thread title

What's a zero between friends

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    ... I did find the door on the left side of my camera and took a look at the manual like Kathy Li told me about, and sure enough it was there. Waayyy in the back of the manual...
    Don't feel bad about not finding it the first time--I have an advantage when it comes to locating information in camera manuals--I've been a professional technical writer for 20+ years.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

HI,

Glad you found it.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Don't feel bad about not finding it the first time--I have an advantage when it comes to locating information in camera manuals--I've been a professional technical writer for 20+ years.
    Of course, wasn't you who wrote it in the back?!
    [ hmmmmm....... but she knew twas there. ]

hey, jz kddin...

Real Name
    Kathy

[grin]. It's not about knowing/remembering stuff. It's about knowing how to look it up. In this case, you couldn't use the obvious and logical "cable release" as your search phrase. You had to go with "auxiliary port". Which I found from the "here are all your camera's parts" diagrams at the top of the manual.

My google-fu, she is mighty and awesome.

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Dave, Nothing between friends, but too many seem to put economies in a whirlwind.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Dave, Nothing between friends, but too many seem to put economies in a whirlwind.
    I could ask the boss for another on my salary, but I bet he'd put it the wrong (aka right) side of the decimal point

Real Name
    Peter

Just a quick (surprised) question: why would you want a cable release if you can also get the Nikon ML-L3 remote for about 20-30 euro?
    Works perfectly for your purposes and very easy to use.

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Peter, I may have a misconception about a wireless remote. Would I be incorrect to assume that with a ML-L3 release you push the button once to open the shutter and push again to close it or must you hold the button down for the duration of the shot. I'm looking at the LCD cable release type because it has the ability to set the time I wanted and the intervals I want and work automatically. Just a thought. I could be persuaded with the right argument.

Real Name
    Peter

Al, I have used it simply as a remote so far. As soon as I push the button, the camera will take the shot.
    But this can be varied (the information below comes from the D600 manual, but I imagine it will be the same for other models):
    - Delayed remote:
    Shutter is released 2 s after ML-L3 shutter-release button is
    pressed.

- Quick-response remote (this is what I use mostly)
    Shutter is released when ML-L3 shutter-release button is
    pressed.

- Remote mirror-up
    Press ML-L3 shutter-release button once to raise mirror, again to
    release shutter and take photograph. Prevents blur caused by
    camera moving when mirror is raised.

I think the third option is what you described.

In an other thread I have read that someone used the self-timer as an alternative to the remote (or cable). That would work too I guess if the camera needs to be in a stable position, but I have never tried it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have the IR and cable release for our Nikon D90 cameras; I believe they are identical to the ones used on the D7000.

1. The IR sensor is located at the front of the camera, so this type of release is really meant for takiing a group shot (including yourself) from in front of the camera. It is a one-shot device, but I haven't tried it to do anything other a shutter release. It is not easy to use if you are using it as a device to take pictures from behind the camera because of the sensor location.

I would expect that you would have to keep pressing the button to keep the shutter open in bulb mode (not something I would want to try).

2. Cable release - this is essentially packaged the same way on the D7000 and the D90. It is ideal for taking shots where you want to work from behind the camera, for instance a long exposure and you don't want to disturb the camera. It has a lock button that allows you to keep the shutter open for a long time. Because of the relatively short cable, it is not ideal for group shots...

You can get cable releases with intervalometers, but I have no experience with these. I've never really had a use for this functionality on a still camera, but have used the built-in one on my video camera.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I have the IR and cable release for our Nikon D90 cameras; I believe they are identical to the ones used on the D7000.

1. The IR sensor is located at the front of the camera, so this type of release is really meant for takiing a group shot (including yourself) from in front of the camera. It is a one-shot device, but I haven't tried it to do anything other a shutter release. It is not easy to use if you are using it as a device to take pictures from behind the camera because of the sensor location.
    This is not true of the D7000, which has two IR sensors, one on the front and one on the back of the camera. FWIW

Real Name
    Al Robinson

Thank you all for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast