Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Black Monsters in the dark

Real Name
    mat

Black Monsters in the dark

This "beauty" came visiting and I thought you might enjoy seeing what I believe is a fairly rare Capricorn Beetle (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ! ) If it is one I think it's considered an endangered species and seen as extinct in the UK. However this one is in France and is probably just a big scary looking beetle.
    Sorry, I have meandered. . . Taking a photo of a black 'thing' at night is tricky, is there a knack ?
    CC welcome, thanks for looking (and I hope you sleep well)

Re: Black Monsters in the dark

Very good detail.

Did you use flash?

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Very good detail.

Did you use flash?
    Thanks Geoff, yes I've got the MT-24 EX on the end of my macro lens but even diffused it can be a little harsh. I don't have the combo mastred yet, but I love the learning curve !!

Real Name
    Andrew

I think you've got the 'knack', Mat! The flash is a wee tiny bit harsh, but for this subject, I think it suit wonderfully.

How did you get him to pose?

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    I think you've got the 'knack', Mat! The flash is a wee tiny bit harsh, but for this subject, I think it suit wonderfully.

How did you get him to pose?
    "pose" ? You must be kidding !
    I was chasing him arounnd the kitchen all night, he barely stopped for a breath.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Andrew

Not sure about how your flash set up works, Mat, but when shooting macro subjects with a Speedlite I set the camera manually to suit the scene (shutter, aperture and iso) then allow the flash to find its own level. With a bit of output compensation.

I found that without some negative composition it was usually over exposed and diffusers didn't help because the auto flash output simply increased to compensate for the diffuser.

Diffusers do help with fixed output flash though.

Real Name
    Roger

Awesome shot I would imagine that the first look through the macro lens was a tad scary.

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Not sure about how your flash set up works, Mat, but when shooting macro subjects with a Speedlite I set the camera manually to suit the scene (shutter, aperture and iso) then allow the flash to find its own level. With a bit of output compensation.

I found that without some negative composition it was usually over exposed and diffusers didn't help because the auto flash output simply increased to compensate for the diffuser.

Diffusers do help with fixed output flash though.
    Geoff,
    I tend to use only manual set up for macro stuff too, and then either physically re-direct the 2 flash heads, as they swivel, twist and turn in almost 360 degs,or try to compensate through the settings, this on I remember was done the old fashioned way and sometimes the difference between too much and too little light is enough to plunge this composition into darkness !
    Thank you for the advice
    mat

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by rogercook View Post
    awesome shot i would imagine that the first look through the macro lens was a tad scary.
    very !!

Real Name
    Joe

I like it Mat, wonderful image. I would love to see the whole beetle, I have no idea what the rest of it looks like or how big it is.

Real Name
    mat

Hey Joe,
    It looked like this and was about 6-7 cm in length however its antenae were easily the same length
    Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    I like it Mat, wonderful image. I would love to see the whole beetle, I have no idea what the rest of it looks like or how big it is.

Real Name
    Susan

I want to say something nice... But - I hate bugs. It's people like you who give us the scary aliens in the sci-fi movies - I feel like I've seen this guy before.