Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playin'...getting closer??

Real Name
    Jon

Playin'...getting closer??

Round two here we go! Still with the mirror and the BP revolver but a little different setup. It is getting closer to that all elusive picture in my head, but not quite yet. I think I may have to scrap the mirror for something else..maybe a sheet of polished stainless steel??

C&C most appreciated.

1. Playin'...getting closer??

2. Playin'...getting closer??

The same as above only converted to B&W

1(B&W). Playin'...getting closer??

2(B&W). Playin'...getting closer??

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Playin'...getting closer??

I think you're on the right track Jon. I like them. And, you've managed to save that red channel in the GRIP!! See I can learn!

PS - although I liked the staging you did with the other props, but these ones look much cleaner and nicer.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Andrew. Once I get the lighting where I want it I may add the props back into the photo. Still not there but I am slowly getting closer

Real Name
    Andrew

Well, do you mind if I ask what it is you're looking for in your lighting?

Real Name
    Jon

more even light with less glare. I think I got it tonight. I now have the revolver propped up like it was with the shotgun shell, but without the shell, and that changed everything again. Moved the lighting, slight change in camera angle and I am ready to add the rest of the elements in the shot.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like all of these better than the other series and I like #2 the best in both versions. Unlike your other series, the reflection in these photos works very well for me. Consider adding more empty space to the bottom and reducing it at the top.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th March 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Jon!

Your #2’s look nice! I especially like the white balance in your #2 color.

Just curious Jon? Are you “gunning” the pistol with hard lighting or are you using any kind of diffusion?

And what would you think if I suggested (oh, parish the thought!) shooting the piece on a non-reflective surface and “faking” the reflection in post? Also, if you can find a piece of solid black tile that will work pretty well.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 17th March 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Consider adding more empty space to the bottom and reducing it at the top.
    Thanks Mike, I will try that, thanks for the pointers

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post

Just curious Jon? Are you “gunning” the pistol with hard lighting or are you using any kind of diffusion?

And what would you think if I suggested (oh, parish the thought!) shooting the piece on a non-reflective surface and “faking” the reflection in post? Also, if you can find a piece of solid black tile that will work pretty well.
    Terry, the first series were shot under very harsh direct light, these two were diffused light. A non-reflective surface and then adding the reflection would be an option if I had the PP software and the skills to use it...of which I have neither.

I also like the second shot of this batch best

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Terry, the first series were shot under very harsh direct light, these two were diffused light.
    Just wondering Jon! There is a big difference in the two series'. This series has, in my opinion, the nicer lighting by far.

Just as an observation, if you are looking for more "even" lighting, #2 has it. The barrel is not going as much into shadow toward the business end, and the spectrals overall are not as prominent. Though you probably already noticed this!

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    A non-reflective surface and then adding the reflection would be an option if I had the PP software and the skills to use it...of which I have neither.
    Hokay! I'll quit making dumb suggestions then! Better to get it like you want without too much post anyway!

Looking forward to the next series, Jon! That pistol looks very clean. You keep it in good shape.