Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird Photographers: What am I doing wrong???

Real Name
    randy

Re: Bird Photographers: What am I doing wrong???

I have been working on my bird photography skills for over a year now. I generally use a "hide", I use the term loosely as a hide ranges from my office window to my vehicle to a mossy stump in the woods. I always assume that if I see the bird it has seen me a whole lot sooner. The key is to acclimate the bird to your presence. Approaching in a straight line, eyes locked on your subject has NOT proven to be a successful tactic.

I vary on finding birds. One tactic is locating suitable habitat, locating signature species, getting comfortable and simply waiting. In my neck of the woods, chickadees are very vocal and alert other species to your presence. When I hear and see chickadees, I find that stump and quietly sit until the chickadees begin to ignore me, soon other birds show up and the fun begins. On the other extreme, I will locate a specific bird and pattern its behavior. Since late February, I have been monitoring an eagle's nest. Today, I have seen both eagles at the nest. The upcoming pictures will be far from accidental.....I know where I will position my car and at what time of day. I will have the opportunity to actually capture the shot that I picture in my head.....hopefully A third tactic that I work on is building a bird friendly backyard by planting trees and shrubs that provide food and shelter, providing nesting boxes, adding a bird bath. My hope is to provide attractive backgrounds for photography as well.

Real Name
    Kathy

Just me, but suck it up and get an L. Birding, like sports, is one of those few subjects where the gear really does matter, alas. The 150-500 is a good lens. But the 100-400L is a great one. And the 400/5.6L can beat the 100-400@400mm.

Of course, having that glass doesn't guarantee a damn thing (and yes, it will still be too short; you will still have to crop and sharpen). You still have to put in the hours and time to get the fieldcraft and know your birds. And I'm extraordinarily lucky in living someplace where a) the birds are varied and plentiful most of the year round, b) there's a ton of sunshine, and c) there are lots and lots of people so birds are less shy than they are elsewhere. On USA bird photography topics/boards, you'll find a disproportionate number of folks to be either in California or Florida.

Bird Photographers: What am I doing wrong???
    White-Tailed Kite.
    50D, EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. iso 400, f/5.6, 1/2500s. handheld.

Western Grebes.
    50D, EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. iso 800, f/11, 1/2000s. handheld.

Black Phoebe.
    50D. EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. iso 800, f/11, 1/800s. handheld.

Greater Roadrunner.
    Canon XT/350D. EF 400mm f/5.6L USM. iso 200, f/7.1, 1/800s. handheld.
    Last edited by inkista; 14th April 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Bill, I gotta say that, based on Tom stellar image, you defiantly have a gear problem of some sort.
    Borrow your buddie's lens, get close and get back to us...don't neglect to check your AF before heading out.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I thought I would like to be a bird photographer, amongst other things, and got myself a 950mm AoV rig....I think the results interesting but I know that my best were obtained with a 112mm AoV from about 18 inches when I cut a ring in a piece of card to match the lens and taped it to my window and used curtains to hide me from the birds' view. From what I read above I was merely at the first stage and needed to organise nice branches for them to sit on and a better background than my old outhouse [ now demolished ] .... but with the limited range of birds coming to feed I lost interest in an uphill battle so just have a couple of moderately nice shots as this one. No crop the whole frame ....
    The other tip comes from this 2000mm AoV hand held shot and 'birdie' is not sharp but looked better after I blurred its surrounds in editing [ about a quarter crop]

Another idea which I have not followed up after a mediocre first trial is to set the camera up on a tripod with a remote or cable release [ I have 50ft ] and watch 'live View' with a pair of binoculars. My remote has a two stage trigger so I can wake the camera up if the action looks promising I forgot to bring my bino's which didn't help matters
    Last edited by jcuknz; 15th April 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Double Post because CiC dreadfully slow

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Late in joining this thread, I will still post another thought, one that is NOT helpful regarding your original question in this thread, but just a suggestion of a technique that I have found gives great results.

I think of this because of all the 'get closer' comments. And--wow they are really stunning for me since I have had a rough time getting sharp images of birds with a telephoto. Hearing all the 'get closer' comment, even when using some telephotos of 300 mm or more, well... it cuts back on my wish for better gear.

I always assumed that one of my biggest issues is that I shoot with kit lenses (Canon 55-250 telephoto). My mind is not much changed on that count: I just don't have good gear for this type of photography.

Still, without the better gear, I have had some great results, basically doing as others in this thread have suggested: get closer. And along that same line, shoot in places you can expect to find them, at or near a feeder for example.

But the real trick that has worked for me: using an intervalometer, taking lots of shots from a tripod over a set interval of time. Then I sort through the images & collect the good ones.

I know: way too much a cheat for birders & photographers alike. It works though and I have gotten some great shots, even of some smaller birds in flight as they approach or leave. The snapping lens scares some off but plenty stay in the shots for some very interesting results.

It comes down to this: what do you really want, the great image or the experience of sitting there pushing the shutter button? They are totally different experiences & I would never give up doing the shooting myself. And here, I will offer a bit of a comparison: many people enjoy night photography & time lapse photography. And there again: some of the best results hardly involve sitting there & snapping the shutter every shot.

Real Name
    Bobo

One of those threads that suddenly get a new life. haha

@Randy - with technology what you do has just been improved. Your random, take a lot of shots, pick a few method has been made better. Do it with your phone or tablet.
    http://camranger.com/wildlife/

Real Name
    Bobo

@Bill S.
    Apologies for not having responded to your question. Must have been one of those times when I mysteriously disappear for a while.

Though asked more than a year or so ago and may no longer be relevant. But...
    At that time I was using a 70-300/f4-5.6 L lens. An ideal lens for the walk around, find and shoot situations. Had nothing else at the time so it served also for the the wait and let them come situations.

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post

@Randy - with technology what you do has just been improved. Your random, take a lot of shots, pick a few method has been made better. Do it with your phone or tablet.

I don't know, Bobo............I think I will stick with the "wait em' out" method

Real Name
    Bobo

It is certainly cheaper.

Real Name
    John

The second most humbling experience behind actually getting the shot is naming the species correctly; at least for me.

Real Name
    John

I found this website which should make comment in post #11 a bit easier.

http://www.whatbird.com/browse/objs/...or/2068/Orange

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post

Thanks, Bobo for the information. I have heard of some remotes with a nice long range. This looks like good equipment.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post

I don't know, Bobo............I think I will stick with the "wait em' out" method
    Randy, I would never give up that experience either. But an intervalometer and/or wireless remote can produce some stunning shots. And a decent intervalometer can be acquired without spending a lot of money on gear.

Real Name
    John

Through trial and error I think I've correctly identified this bird as an Artic Tern.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

As this thread has kinda migrated but still has the same goals...here's a pre-focused, on two open feeding holes, shot taken with a wireless remote in rapid fire mode wile drinking my morning cuppa. Low keeper rate!

Will that CamRanger allow me to shoot in AI Servo Mode (rapid fire) as was done with these shots?

BTW...help, does anyone out there know of a more photogenic hummingbird feeder?
    Last edited by chauncey; 4th May 2014 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    As this thread has kinda migrated but still has the same goals...here's a pre-focused, on two open feeding holes, shot taken with a wireless remote in rapid fire mode wile drinking my morning cuppa. Low keeper rate!

Will that CamRanger allow me to shoot in AI Servo Mode (rapid fire) as was done with these shots?

This is the best photogenic humming bird feeder i've found......................

Two ways..........................one, hide a small single port feeder in some flower clippings, or two, squirt a small amount of nectar into a flower that is close to a feeder. After awhile, they will feed regularly from it.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Grahame

Now that was a great answer complete with excellent examples

Real Name
    Eric Hamous

As per my opinion, you have to use some effects in the picture. Another side you might have to focus more on the bird and blur the background. It will give more creative touch to your photography.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post

I think I would forget the rapid fire and try using a bit of flash. They may just take no notice of that but it would improve the lighting - or maybe a studio type flood light and rapid fire. Looks like you would need a different feeder though.

John
    -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast