Thread: An attempt at an atmospheric shot

Real Name
    John

An attempt at an atmospheric shot

Hi All,
    I tried to isolate this island in a lake and wonder if I have made the right decisions composition wise. I put the island low in the frame, just trying to keep the reflection in frame. I guess it might work as black and white as well ... or better. Maybe a crop would be a good idea. Feel free to play about with the image.

Would appreciate any comments you would like to make.

cheers
    john
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: An attempt at an atmospheric shot

I love atmospheric shots like these - and they are so difficult to get right. I think your lighting and contrast balance are just right. I would maybe have shifted the island left and then you would have got both birds on the lake in the frame in a better place.

Real Name
    Lex

To my eye, it looks like your horizon slopes down to the left, and I would clone out the birds to concentrate the viewer on the island. But the exposure's dead on, and as Kaye said, shots like this are tricky.

Real Name
    John

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. The swans were an issue, I had waited for them to move into the frame more but in the end they started moving out of frame. I think you are both right, either get them more in frame or remove them.

Real Name
    Allan Short

John please read on how to post an image, myself I hate attached thumbnails, if your image did not catch my attention as your does I would simply go to the next posting. I really needs to be posted at the max size and when seen in the lightbox will be something else. So please read on how to post as I think this is an images that well deserves it.

Cheers:

Allam

Real Name
    Steve

A nice image, john, very moody with the fog.

Personally, i think the image is kind of dark and a little flat.

If mine, i would increase the gamma and add a curves adjustment layer to brighten things up a little. A little LCE to add some contrast. Increased the blacks a little. Clean up the dust bunnies in the sky and remove the duck next to the right edge. Then bring back the mood, with a couple vignettes to darken the edges and make the island pop.

Something like this--didn't spend much time on it, but you get the idea.............................Great image john, well done.

An attempt at an atmospheric shot

Real Name
    John

Thanks for your comments.
    Allan - I don't know if you were going to add some information about posting pictures? - will have a look in the help
    Steve - looks much better, will have a play in Lightroom and see what I can do.
    Cheers
    john

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    If mine, i would increase the gamma
    Hi Steve, how do you do that, and what does it do ? Thanks.