Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Keep aperture open?

Real Name
    Sarah

Keep aperture open?

I'd like to keep the aperture open on my Canon SD1100 IS to get long exposure. Anyone know how to do this? I've read through the user manual multiple times but it only tells me how to adjust the exposure (+ or -). This only makes it dark or lighter, but I'd like to try some pictures at night with traffic lights, etc.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Keep aperture open?

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/03000007...0IS_CUG_EN.pdf

It looks like it can manage speeds longer than 1.3 secs but I found this on page 99; I'm unfamiliar with the camera though.
    Keep aperture open?

Quote Originally Posted by SGerke View Post
    I'd like to keep the aperture open on my Canon SD1100 IS to get long exposure. Anyone know how to do this? I've read through the user manual multiple times but it only tells me how to adjust the exposure (+ or -). This only makes it dark or lighter, but I'd like to try some pictures at night with traffic lights, etc.

Thanks!
    Do you have a 'Tv' (or similar) mode (on the main mode dial) on the camera? If so go into that mode, and you should be able to adjust the shutter speed. Higher numbers faster, lower numbers is longer (well, at least until the units switch from x/100sec to x/1sec)

Real Name
    Elie

I used to have a sd1000, very similar menus.

Yes, the trick is to go to the exposure compensation menu and pressing the disp button. This will allow you to set the shutter for as long as 30 seconds I believe. Good post arith.

CHDK, the software, allows you to play with the built in neutral density filter in these cameras. Pretty cool, but involved. Google it if interested.

Look for me it depends in which situation u wnt 2 take pics.
    I think that ur talking about photography in which time sun light is nt exists.
    For that you can use this configuration:
    Set ur aperture very high,ISO is also around 1000,Low shutter speed(around 2 sec),lens with more than 200 mm focal lenght.
    But the problem u will face are:
    1. Due to very high aperture,u will get very low field if focus
    2.Due to very high ISO some extra noise can be gained.
    3.Due to low shutter speed some unwanted blur can come.
    4.Due to using of lens having more than 200mm focal lenght,the range of focus will be reduced.

Better pls let me know the exact pic u wnt 2 click.then i cn help u more i hope.
    But pls use Tripod for you snaps.

Real Name
    John

With a point and shoot the only way to keep the aperture open longer than normal is to use a nightscape or nightscape portrait mode. The portrait mode uses flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGerke View Post

Thanks!