Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Salt "harvesting" B&W C&C please

Real Name
    Dave

Salt "harvesting" B&W C&C please

On holiday in Thailand we came across salt "harvesting" where after being formed through evaporation the salt was scraped into piles to dry and then carried to a large mound to await collection. All done by hand. The weather was hot, and with reflection from the salt unbearable.

I wanted to try and capture the harshness of that world, so I have cropped out what didn't seem essential and done a fairly aggressive B&W transformation. C&C would be very welcome - do the pictures convey anything to you?

Real Name
    james

Re: Salt "harvesting" B&W C&C please

my skin blisters just looking at these pics... of the 2 images I prefer the human element in 1. An interesting picture of an "old world" way.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice black-and-white conversion!

For me, the second image is marvelous and the first image is confusing. The first one would work better for me if the sky was eliminated, but not a lot better.

I've been to many parts of Thailand and don't remember reading about salt harvesting, much less seeing it. Where is salt harvesting done there?

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I understand what mean about teh first one. I was trying to get a picture with a human element, but couldn't find the right place. (I wasn't thinking about black and white, either!).

Where is salt harvesting done there?
    On the main road south from Bangkok - here is a link: http://www.amphawafloatingmarket.com...-thailand.html

Dave