Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ft 1 mount for nikkor lens

Ft 1 mount for nikkor lens

Hi Everyone,
    I've a Nikon J1 and D700. Some people said I could mount my 80-200 nikkor lens onto the J1 with a FT 1 mount. And the focal length will becomes 2.7 times of the original. That means 216-540mm. I wonder if this means the real focal length increase (image size increase) or just the capturing angle decreased (image size remain as 200mm). Can I use 2x teleconverter at the same time ? Really hope someone can help.
    ST

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Ft 1 mount for nikkor lens

Just the field of view/angle. The focal length of a lens is a physical property and doesn't change just because you change the size of the sensor you mount behind it.

You probably could use a 2x tc, but you're still going to add two stops to the max. aperture, and are likely to lose autofocus if that max. aperture goes past f/5.6.

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Just the field of view/angle. The focal length of a lens is a physical property and doesn't change just because you change the size of the sensor you mount behind it.

You probably could use a 2x tc, but you're still going to add two stops to the max. aperture, and are likely to lose autofocus if that max. aperture goes past f/5.6.
    Thank you very much of your answer Kathy. So there is no short cut but to spend big money for the tele lens.

Real Name
    evan north

you could try the nikon 70-300 vr with the ft 1 adapter. i have seen very good results with this combo. it gives 810mm at the long end, not too heavy either unlike a longer telephoto lens. i would not attempt to use a teleconverter with any consumer zoom lens with or without the ft 1.

Thank you very much. But may I clarify that the Focal Length of Lens changed with the FT 1 adapter ? Would the 300mm lens produce the same reproduction ratio as a 800mm lens ?
    Normally, a 300mm lens reproduction ratio is 1/3.7, Picture angle 8 degree 10 second. A 800mm lens reproduction ratio is 1/6.6, Picture angle 3 degree 10 second.

Real Name
    evan north

the maximum image size at all focal lengths, regardless of focal distance should be 2.7 x of the lens original focal length. (300mm will become 810mm) at minimum focusing distance the image should also be larger. when i attach a 2x converter to a macro lens with 1;1 final image size the lens gives 2;1. at minimum distance.

Quote Originally Posted by evan47 View Post
    the maximum image size at all focal lengths, regardless of focal distance should be 2.7 x of the lens original focal length. (300mm will become 810mm) at minimum focusing distance the image should also be larger. when i attach a 2x converter to a macro lens with 1;1 final image size the lens gives 2;1. at minimum distance.
    So I could use my 80~200 on my J1 as 216~540mm, plus the 2X, it would becomes 432~1080mm. Although the max. aparture will downgrade to 5.6 with manual focus only. It would be fun, right ?

Real Name
    evan north

you certainly could try it, but in my opinion i think it would be best to use the ft 1 on its own. a 2x tc is likely to degrade iq, slow down your af, if it still works at all, and most likely lose the vr function. no harm in trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by evan47 View Post
    you certainly could try it, but in my opinion i think it would be best to use the ft 1 on its own. a 2x tc is likely to degrade iq, slow down your af, if it still works at all, and most likely lose the vr function. no harm in trying though.
    Thanks Evan. Well, that's only for fun. iq from my J1 is not the same level as my D700 anyway.

Real Name
    Pete

quick question.

i assume you have an af-s 80-200 not an af-d 80-200? the later won't auto focus.....

Real Name
    Peter

Hi ST, it seems like a fun idea, but with the teleconverter stuck in there as well and the quality of the J1 sensor I wonder how the photos are going to look.
    I have the 1V1 and have contemplated getting the FT-1 mount, so that I can use my FX lenses, but it is an expensive piece of equipment. In my case, as expensive as what I paid for the camera + 10-30mm lens. So I'll find out a bit more first about the quality I can expect, before I start investing in that.
    The combination of the 1V1 with my 105mm macro lens or 70-200mm does sound like fun I have to admit.

Sure the iq would be an issue. In fact, i'm still worry if the focal length would change, or just the picture angle narrowed only?
    Just imagine what happened for a DX lens on your D600 full frame body.
    Last edited by Stbull; 12th March 2013 at 10:25 AM.