Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hoodoos of the Summerville Formation

Real Name
    Toby Leeson

Hoodoos of the Summerville Formation

I've been driving by these rocks in the morning just as the sun is coming up for several years. I finally went out with my camera and captured them at sunup. Awesomely beautiful in the field. They are in Church Rock, New Mexico, near Red Rock State Park.

I'd love any comments or critique.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Hoodoos of the Summerville Formation

Toby, these are some interesting formations. With the heavy shadowing it has cooled the image somewhat from what I can only guess it looked like. I have had a quick play with your image to give just another take on PP. I hope you don't mind, some time it is easier to show than say.

What I did was first set the black & white points then warmed the temp just a bit to get rid of the blue cast. I then added just a touch of contrast. Due to the warming the exposure appeared to raise so I backed of just a touch on the exposure.

Last edited by jeeperman; 9th March 2013 at 06:25 AM.

I wonder about a very slight crop of the foreground. Even more apparent with Paul's edit.

But this would mean losing a little from the left side or going to a different size ratio.

Real Name
    Toby Leeson

Thanks guys. I agree mine is too dark and blue. I like the revised version, although for me it seems too warm and bright, so somewhere between maybe. A crop might be stronger too, emphasize the rocks. In part, I am struggling with calibration of my Mac in which I do my PP in Aperture. The images looks right on it, but then they are dark and often much bluer on other screens. I've calibrated my monitor twice, using the Apple calibration tool. Here is another one that looks great on my Mac, but here is darker and a bit bluer: