Thread: Arctic scene - how to set WB?

Real Name
    Dave

Arctic scene - how to set WB?

Hi,

Reworking some old pictures (not very high resolution), taken during husky driving trip in Swedish arctic.

Light was beautiful, but struggling to get a good WB - any suggestions (using LR)? (and any other C&C welcome)

Thanks,

Dave

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Arctic scene - how to set WB?

Hi Dave,

Maybe if you reduce the warmth a tad by adding a bit of blue:

Real Name
    Lex

Dave, this particular shot is a mixed-light situation. Anything in the shadows from the middle of the trees down will probably look best at a 6000-7000K white temperature, and everything above that level, lit by the sunset(rise?) will probably respond best to 3600-4500K. Unless you want to mask and adjust white balance in each zone separately, you'll just have to pick your poison. Mixed light is a bear. Personally, winter scenes are one of only a few cases where I prefer a bluer white balance. Tends to convey the scene's thermal (not light) temperature rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi,

Reworking some old pictures (not very high resolution), taken during husky driving trip in Swedish arctic.

Light was beautiful, but struggling to get a good WB - any suggestions (using LR)? (and any other C&C welcome)

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,
    The image,on my display,is not at all bad at first look.First of all ctr j to do a copy then with clone stamp tool at different opacity from 40 to 70% clone down/out the chains from dogs and the third dog.Then,enhance> adjust lighting>levels move the left and middle slider to right then move the left slider near its initial place as your taste says.With eraser tool at 10-20% erase the trees and foreground as your taste says,without the sky.Layers>merge down.Lasso tool at 35 px.on the foreground and ctrl j for a copy then enhance>adjust color
    >adjust hue/saturation then look for blue and cyan and move the slider of saturation to the left near -20 or ...more but not too much.That was in PSE 15 min
    Arctic scene - how to set WB?So different Whites are pp on different layers
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 7th March 2013 at 04:13 PM.

In Lr problem is easily to solve but in the same time more difficult.I look for Auto exposure then look for color noise and move the slider to the right around 80% and the detail to 60%.About chains I show you only a little,your action will be with spot removal as clone and that is all.
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 7th March 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

The white balance looks pretty good to me, dave.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi folks, thanks for the ideas and feedback. I'll try some things out, though I don't think my PP skills will stand up to making separate masks for the shadow/sunny areas.

Cheers,

Dave