Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Food Photos

  1. #1
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Food Photos

    Hey all,

    I got to do a food photo shoot for a pastry chef at a restaurant in New York this afternoon. It was a lot of fun and very delicious one because I got to try everything If all goes well one of these photos might be used in a European food porn magazine which would be my first time being published in print.


    Mint Julep
    Food Photos


    Mango, Rhubarb and vanilla panna cotta with milk foam
    Food Photos


    Blood orange, Gianduja and chocolate orb
    Food Photos


    Poached rhubarb, vanilla panna cotta, mangosteen and champagne foam
    Food Photos


    Assorted Macaroons
    Food Photos


    CC would be great on these.

    Thanks,

    Jason

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Food Photos

    Well done, Jason, on getting that shoot.

    How did you light these?

    I do like that last one - the macaroons.

  3. #3
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well done, Jason, on getting that shoot.

    How did you light these?

    I do like that last one - the macaroons.
    Hey Donald,

    Thanks. I used a speedlight with a stand, one of those light dome tupperware things and a reflector. Currently that's all I've got to work with. It was very dimly lit in the restaurant which made for quite a challenge.

    -Jason

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grand Cayman, GT
    Posts
    830
    Real Name
    Graham Heron

    Re: Food Photos

    Hi Jason,
    Very nice pics. The chef is an artist and you are able to capture it well (not an easy skill).
    Love to see more of the same food samples to see what other positions you tried.
    Nice use of the shadows to provide depth.
    Are these the ones YOU selected, or the chef? So often the photographer and the chef can have different favourite shots.

    I've been lucky enough to be in a similar position - but the food isn't presented as well.
    I do the same lighting set-up inside the restaurant for quickie shots (flash/brolly/reflector), works well for you.
    I will use your examples to promote upping the presentation at the restaurant (more work and samples for me).
    Hopefully I can create shots as good as yours.

    Graham

  5. #5
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Hi Jason,
    Very nice pics. The chef is an artist and you are able to capture it well (not an easy skill).
    Love to see more of the same food samples to see what other positions you tried.
    Nice use of the shadows to provide depth.
    Are these the ones YOU selected, or the chef? So often the photographer and the chef can have different favourite shots.

    I've been lucky enough to be in a similar position - but the food isn't presented as well.
    I do the same lighting set-up inside the restaurant for quickie shots (flash/brolly/reflector), works well for you.
    I will use your examples to promote upping the presentation at the restaurant (more work and samples for me).
    Hopefully I can create shots as good as yours.

    Graham
    Thanks Graham,

    The chef is extremely talented and the Michelin Guide agrees awarding them one star. Some of his platings were challenging to compose so I tried many different ones. I disliked the others I had tried, opting to send only these to him. When he finishes the spring menu I'll get to go back and shoot / taste the rest. Good luck with your upcoming presentation and shoot.

    -Jason

  6. #6
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Hey guys,

    I decided to clean up the mint julep. I think its much improved.

    Food Photos

    CC always,

    Jason

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,326
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Food Photos

    Hi Jason,

    I think these are VERY impressive, well done.

    The chef is undoubtedly very good, but you have also done well to achieve good focus, DoF and exposure.

    If I have one critique, it would be that I found the circular ripples on the plate in #2 distracting at first.

    I cannot work out #4 though, is the champagne foam a skin over the top or is everything inside the glass bowl submerged?

    Definitely food with a "wow factor" which you have captured.

    Cheers,

  8. #8
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jason,

    I think these are VERY impressive, well done.

    The chef is undoubtedly very good, but you have also done well to achieve good focus, DoF and exposure.

    If I have one critique, it would be that I found the circular ripples on the plate in #2 distracting at first.

    I cannot work out #4 though, is the champagne foam a skin over the top or is everything inside the glass bowl submerged?

    Definitely food with a "wow factor" which you have captured.

    Cheers,
    Hey Dave,

    Thank you. The food was excellent. I am going back on Monday to shoot the rest of the dessert menu. I wanted to wash out the ripples with the flash on the mango and rhubarb but then there was no definition in all the other whites on the plate. I want to reshoot that plate anyway in favor of different lighting. The champagne foam is the white star shaped blob. The thing on top is crystallized sugar, formed perfectly to the shape of the top of the glass. Thanks for the kind words.

    -Jason

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grand Cayman, GT
    Posts
    830
    Real Name
    Graham Heron

    Re: Food Photos

    I liked the ripples on the plate, it formed a frame to help hold my attention on the food.
    Thanks for the explanation of the foam.
    The food I have been shooting has been rapid fire so it's good as stock shots for them, but I want to try better staged food.
    At least my grocery bill is down (but my waist measurement is up).
    Graham

    Keep'em coming Jason.

  10. #10
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    I liked the ripples on the plate, it formed a frame to help hold my attention on the food.
    Thanks for the explanation of the foam.
    The food I have been shooting has been rapid fire so it's good as stock shots for them, but I want to try better staged food.
    At least my grocery bill is down (but my waist measurement is up).
    Graham

    Keep'em coming Jason.
    These plates were also rapid fire. I had a few minutes with each plate before sending them back to be finished with their frozen components. This made it especially challenging because I had no idea what the finished plate would look like. For example The mint julep was just the painted line on the plate with the piece of chocolate on the left. I had to completely reconsider my composition when it came back.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grand Cayman, GT
    Posts
    830
    Real Name
    Graham Heron

    Re: Food Photos

    Hi Jason,
    It is an interesting way of working isn't it? You literally have seconds to assess the best angles, the best lighting (with what is available), how long you have to work with it before it is unacceptably changed (melting, cooling, dripping, slumping and so on).
    I found it all quite exhilarating having to work under such pressure.
    I think as a learning experience, as everything can be if the mental approach is there, it was fantastic. Makes you realise what you know and what you don't know and forces you to accept your limits. Once we know our limits, we can figure out what we need to do to expand them.
    Love what you are doing, I shall post a few of my meagre offerings later.
    Graham

  12. #12
    Aforns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    181
    Real Name
    Alfred Forns

    Re: Food Photos

    Mighty fine images, appreciate the work !!! Excellent !!

  13. #13
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Food Photos

    Hey everyone,

    So I went back yesterday to shoot more photos. I re-did three plates. The chef wanted to have a chance at replating two and one I wanted to change the lighting on. Also one new plate. I think the ones we reshot came out better.

    Black sesame cremeux, sesame florentine and yuzu ice cream
    Food Photos


    Food Photos


    Food Photos



    Food Photos


    CC always welcome and appreciated,


    Jason

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Grand Cayman, GT
    Posts
    830
    Real Name
    Graham Heron

    Re: Food Photos

    Congrats to the two of you (chef and photog). Great styling and great shots.
    Graham

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •