Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with this Seal

Real Name
    Tom

Help with this Seal

I was able to grab a shot of a resting seal. I was very pleased with the outcome and the positive feedback it received. There were quite a few that insisted the photo was "photoshopped" which I believe they were implying the seal was added? Also, there were several people that said the photo looked "fake".

The image was PP in Lightroom 4. I added more contrast to the clouds since I metered off of the light, I lost the detail in the sky. I changed the tone in the sky as well as increased the orange tones in the overall picture.

I would love to hear everyones feedback as to what their impression is or perhaps what they might have done differently?

Help with this Seal

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

Re: Help with this Seal

Hi Tom To add that seal you need to be a PhotoShop Master of world class proportions.

I like the image as framed with the close up perspective, PS work is very good and just the right amount. About you could do is warm the image slightly but that is just taste, depends on the desired mood. Excellent work !!

Real Name
    Splashy

First of all I love this picture, I would try making it a bit less yellow IF that improves the picture.

Real Name
    Jon

Tom, I have seen some amazing images in which something was added that you could not tell untill closer inspection. If you added the seal I will bow to your mastery
    I really like the image as is. Great composition.

Real Name
    Shane

Lovely image Tom, you captured quite a pleading look on the seals face. The horizon is sloping a bit to the right so the image could use a bit of straightening but other that that it is great!

Possibly, Tom, having the seal looking up at the photographer does seem a bit 'unnatural'. Too good to be true!

And yes, a little bit of rotation would help. It is difficult to tell what is level with that horizon line, but looking straight would appear better, even if that is actually incorrect.

Real Name
    John

i suppose saying it was photoshopped is a complement unless they felt this wasn't the seals natural habitat.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Tom, sometimes when I process a picture objects look like they were artificially added. The seal's head has a bit of that look. Nice picture and I agree with some of the comments on how to improve it. Also, where was this picture taken?

Karm

Real Name
    Tom

Lol, most people could not believe NJ had seals. It gave my ego a fighting chance through that rationale, lol.

I went ahead and took all your considerations into account on these changes. I appreciate the direction and really like the outcome. I feel it to be less warm, but then again early springs seldom are Thank you for your kind words, I have tinkered with adding, but only once. It was enough to know that the outcome deserves knowledge and practice before publishing, lol.

Help with this Seal

Personally, I think you have gone too far with this edit Tom.

The original just needed some very slight tweaks.

I would do something like this.

Help with this Seal

But I have used some Adjustment Layers (4 in fact) to selectively apply some minute colour and brightness changes. I assume you can't do this with Lightroom. However, Adjustment Brushes are similar to editing with masks.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The composition is wonderful and appears very natural to me!

If you could take the time to eliminate the two pieces of vegetation crossing the middle of the seal's face that would help. I would also be tempted to remove the tall thinking sticking above the horizon that is closest to the seal. (The other objects doing the same in the distance don't bother me at all and add to the image by conveying the vast nothingness in the seal's environment.)

I've looked at the image several times on my calibrated monitor before commenting and it appears to have a strong green cast. I added small, equal amounts of red and blue to the entire image and liked the results.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 3rd March 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Well I like all the variations,

Apart from the straightening, and removing the "pipe" sticking up I would not change much.
    I like the darker sky in the first one, and maybe it does have a colour cast that could be lessened.

The look of the seal does look a bit unreal, but sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time to get such a shot.

I have no idea how you could Photoshop or Gimp the seal in. I think the foliage in the pictue would make that almost impossible.

I also found it a fraction on the green side, Mike. But I simply reduced the green highlights fractionally when I boosted the blue.

Virtually the same as adding extra red though.

Real Name
    Steve

A very nice image, tom. I like it alot. I would prob. present it like this...........................

Help with this Seal

Adjusted the levels.........corrected the color............sharpened...............dodged the eyes.............added some saturation..................added a couple of vignettes to focus the light on the seal.

Real Name
    Bruce

Nice photograph. Bruce

Real Name
    james

Tom normally I like to see the whole animal but your composition works very well here. I like Steve and Geoffs edits because the bring more attention back to the seal. A wonderful shot.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Tom: very nice shot, from my readings of the thread, nothing major but some person view on how to present however they are to my eye slightly different views. It is always good to see the visions of others of a similar image it shows they we are all different but similar.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Paul

Nicely done, Tom. Great image.

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you all for comments and feedback. I revised my photo several times all of your thoughts in mind and this was the one I submitted to the local paper.

Help with this Seal

Real Name
    Bobo

Depends on the kind of forums you frequent. Some are so elitist that only their "inner" group can do anything right (in their opinion that is).

I would get off those places. Nothing is worth the aggravation. Spend that time taking nice pictures instead.

Back to the picture - my honest opinion? However it is edited, it is one AWESOME shot. I simply love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast