Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kennedy Launch Complex B&W - C&C please

Real Name
    Dave

Kennedy Launch Complex B&W - C&C please

Hi,

I am still experimenting to see what works as a B&W conversion. I was looking to bring out the detail in the structure.

Does it work, and how can it be improved?

Thanks for any comments,

Dave

Kennedy Launch Complex B&W - C&C please

Real Name
    Miltos

Re: Kennedy Launch Complex B&W - C&C please

I like it a lot Dave. Nice job.

The blending with the reflection of the tree or whatever it is on the right gives a nice effect.

What I don't like compositionally is not seeing the base of the tower.

The BW is a success I think, nice tones and details. The sky noise fits the industrial scene and is not a problem to my eye.

Another suggestion is to apply some PP vignette, probably a gradient darkening to the left side would help constrain the viewer to the main subject.

Hope it helps!
    Miltos

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I was assuming that the ghost of the tree we can see over at the right is something that's not meant to be there.

Real Name
    Dave

I was assuming that the ghost of the tree we can see over at the right is something that's not meant to be there.
    Donald, you are right, and Miltos was too kind. The strange thing (to me) was that it is to all intents and purposes invisible in the colour image. I assume that opting for high structure in the conversion is what brought it out.

Then I was trying to understand where it came from (I didn't see it as a tree initially!). Then I remembered. We weren't allowed off the bus at this point, so I had to shoot through a window. I thought I had got close enough to eliminate reflections, but obviously not - though where the tree actually was I have no idea. Unfortunately, there was a security fence covering the base of the tower, so I couldn't get it in, and couldn't change position.

Thanks for comments,

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I assume that opting for high structure in the conversion is what brought it out.
    Very much so. It does reveal any imperfections that may be in the file. It's a belter for showing up all the dust bunnies that you were sure were never there.

Real Name
    Splashy

Very nice picture.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice conversion! You brought out the detail very nicely.

You might be able to eliminate the problem with the reflection by selecting all of the clouds and the tree and applying a touch of noise reduction (similar in effect to using a small amount of gaussian blur though better in my mind). It's probably best to do this before converting to monochrome. Be sure not to select the electrical wires. This could be such a nice image that I think it's worth the effort to try it.

The image appears slightly oversharpened to me, perhaps due to your use of structure. I would crop at the bottom to eliminate the roofs.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    [Applying structure is great] for showing up all the dust bunnies that you were sure were never there.
    What a marvelous idea!

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for your encouraging comments (and thanks to Silver Efex for the conversion. Still on demo, but it looks like I might be buying the damn thing ) I'm going to have another go, but need to think through the workflow (e.g. use the PSE content aware healing brush to get rid of some wires), and I need to correct the vertical that you have been kind enough not to mention!

Ta, Dave