Thread: Sony a65

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Sony a65

Hi,I am thinking about buying a SONY A 65 I am a photography enthusiast any feedback,pros,cons regarding this camera.....

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Sony a65

Hi Bernard,
    I always check out camera gear on this site.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65/

They give a thorough and unbiased opinion of the pros and cons of every camera they review.
    My opinion would be biased as a current Sony owner, but honestly I don't think you would be disappointed if you bought it. Sony cameras tick all the boxes for me.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Paul

I can tell you I am very happy with the big brother to this model...the A77. I have owned it for a year now and if I had to by again I would not hesitate in making the same choice. Do you have specific questions/concerns? What do you currently shoot?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    Hi,I am thinking about buying a SONY A 65 I am a photography enthusiast any feedback,pros,cons regarding this camera.....
    My first question is why are you looking at this specific manufacturer and camera model?

Generally when I look at buying something (and not just cameras), I try to understand my needs and once I have that figured out I can drill down to make the appropriate choice as to what I required and then move forward.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Paul,as a amatuer at photography I dont really know that much about it and as I have saved some money I would like to upgrade from my Sony alpha a230 and after searching for a while I fancied the a65,just didn,t have any Idea if it was an ok model.....
    Last edited by Benjy; 2nd March 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Manfred,as I currently have a Sony a230 I thought I should stick with Sony....

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Hi Bernard:
    Like Paul, I'm now shooting with the A77 and love it. Don't know the A65 but my friend has an A55 as a back-up to his A77 that still does great work. You're not going to go far wrong with Sony. There are a lot of Canon (I used to be one) and Nikon fan boys out there but I am now firmly in the Sony camp. Very happy with the switch.

Real Name
    Paul

Bud, the A65 is the A77 minus the weather seal and I believe one or two jpeg only modes.

Real Name
    Robin

You absolutely must go and try one in a store - don't whatever you do buy it online unless you do this first.

Why?

Your A230 has an optical viewfinder - its a SLR - whereas the A65 has an (EVF) electronic viewfinder - its a SLT.

I'm not saying this is a negative but you must see if you like the EVF before spending your cash on one. Some photographers do and will never go back but it is a fundamental shift in the way you view and shoot so has to be seen first.

Other than that its a decent camera, will work with your existing glass and flash gear, its quick has reasonable AF and if you're into video the Sony cameras are fantastic at it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    Manfred,as I currently have a Sony a230 I thought I should stick with Sony....
    If you have a substantial investment in other related Sony gear (lenses, etc) this could be a wise choice. There will be a comfort level and reduced learing curve if you stick with their line.

The main reason for asking is that Sony has gone down a unique path with a fixed mirror and electronic viewfinder that is not to my taste. When I bought my first DSLR, I had a good look at the Sony line and at the time, they had some nice gear, but I was a bit nervous about how a company that has a large consumer electronics presence was going to carry on with the Konica-Minolta heritage. They are also the largest professional video camera producer out there.

I'm not 100% sure I like where Sony with their still camera gear right now.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

A Big Thanks to everyone for comments/views concerning Sony A65 they have been most helpful,as Manfred suggested I will try the EVF before I purchase the camera,once again Thanks for all your help.....