Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Sunny Tuesday Morning - Camp Cove a Sydney Harbour Beach

Real Name
    Graham

A Sunny Tuesday Morning - Camp Cove a Sydney Harbour Beach

I have seen C19 paintings of this beach but have never been there before. I love how relaxed people are on our beaches. This is a beach on the shore of Sydney Harbour just inside South Head mid morning yesterday.

Camp Cove Fishermen

Graham
    Last edited by gcowan; 26th February 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: A Sunny Tuesday Morning - Camp Cove a Sydney Harbour Beach

Both interesting but from a pictorial point of view I prefer the second. Cropping about half off the sky and midway between the two right-hand boats I think would improve it. The WB (a bit blue) and curves (increase contrast) could be tweaked a little.

Real Name
    Graham

Thanks for your comments L.Paul.
    I made a little crop to the initial frame because there was a pipe in the foreground. That may have distracted me from considering a further crop. I did toy with the idea of cropping the right hand off and some of the bottom off the image to make it more of a pano style of shot. Basically I think you are right about it needing a crop but I would leave the sky alone. We don't get many skies like that here.

Now the question of WB and contrast is an interesting one. I think the WB is close to what I saw on the day, it is a bit difficult to say as my glasses go dark on a day like that. When I sample on either the white of the boat or the faded white under the deck I think the colour loses that emerald blue of Sydney. I thought it was flat so I increased the saturation and luminence of blue and aqua in LR. The other problem I saw was that it lacked the brilliance of the day. I did increase the exposure and contrast a bit. I am still unhappy with that aspect of it and initially I did not post the image. I think I will revisit it and start again using the first image as a guide to both colour and light quality.

Graham

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Graham,

Maybe you need to have a look at cleaning the sensor on your M9. See those spots in the sky?

Must say I like what I see on my screen, lots of mood in the images.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Another stubborn Aussie - As the photographer it is totally your call and it is very likely the white balance is similar to the lighting you had on the day. The problem with photography it works best when you are specific and simplify. The sky as nice as it is does not interest me as a viewer as much as the boat shed, fisherman, their immediate surroundings and the great colour of the water with the contrast of the city as the back drop. The pink and blue clothing, pale yellow/green of the woodwork and the sea colour is great combination. I think every thing I could ask for has been captured but for me it just needs tweaking.

P.S. Is it hard to be a photographer and a guitarist?

P.P.S. Looking at it full size I have to confess it looks pretty darn good. Very relaxed feel to the scene.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 27th February 2013 at 09:45 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin

HI, Graham

The 2nd image is particularly nice. I suspect the WB is quite appropriate given the reflected blue off of both sky and water. I initially also thought some cropping off the right side might be helpful to move the larger boat out of the middle, but in doing so, it knocks the shot out of balance and makes the shed too prominent. I'd leave it the way it is (except for the dust bunnies).

Real Name
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    P.S. Is it hard to be a photographer and a guitarist?
    Yes, I am not a very natural musician and it takes a lot of practice.
    Graham

Real Name
    Graham

Thanks Kevin & Andre,

I am working on the dust. I have been living with it for a while ( I usually clean it off in PP.) I think it is a bit of excess lubricant rather than dust, and I don't want to try to clean it myself. I did that with a Canon with the same type of spots and it smeared all over the sensor, just before I needed it for a trip.

Graham

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

How far away is that from Darling Harbour? From the second shot it looks like you are across the way.

Real Name
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice.

How far away is that from Darling Harbour? From the second shot it looks like you are across the way.
    Thanks John,

It is right out at the southern headland of the entrance to the harbour from the Pacific Ocean. It is about 8kms from Circular Quay or about 10kms from Darling Harbour.
    What you can see is the Central Business District in the distance across Bradley Head, or Middle Head.
    Actually if you look in lightbox with the max zoom you can just see the top of the Harbour Bridge to the right of the central sailing boat's mast.

Graham

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gcowan View Post
    Thanks John,

It is right out at the southern headland of the entrance to the harbour from the Pacific Ocean. It is about 8kms from Circular Quay or about 10kms from Darling Harbour.
    What you can see is the Central Business District in the distance across Bradley Head, or Middle Head.
    Actually if you look in lightbox with the max zoom you can just see the top of the Harbour Bridge to the right of the central sailing boat's mast.

Graham
    I can just make it out and that from a 50mm lens. Very nice.

Real Name
    Splashy

I love the pictures and hate to look at them, because I haven't been on a warm beach for .