Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pan Am Boeing Stratoline Clipper Flying Cloud

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Pan Am Boeing Stratoline Clipper Flying Cloud

Of the more than 100 airplanes and spacecraft displayed in the two installations of the Smithsonian National Air and Space museum, this one is my favorite. Captured in 2011 and converted to black-and-white a few days ago.

C&C encouraged, as always.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd February 2013 at 06:47 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Pan Am Boeing Stratoline Clipper Flying Cloud

Very nice Mike,

My only minor suggestion relates to the third shot, if the N54P isn't part of the 'clipper, it might be cloned out?

I visited the Smithsonian NASM back in '77 (last time I was in the USA), let's just say it made a lasting impression

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Very nice. I like the angle of view on the first and the use of the spectators to emphasize the size of the aircraft.

Impressive indeed!
    However for me in this particular case a low contrast treatment emphasizes the sensation to be in the presence of a huge thing.
    In another case a small distortion and the lack of visitors nearby increases the feeling to be in the vicinity of a potential danger.

Thank you for posting these beautiful shots

Dave,

I like your idea of digitally removing the part of the other airplane appearing above the top of the Clipper. Unfortunately, the detailed stuff in the ceiling would require using a tablet for my klutzy hands and I don't have one. Even if I did, I don't know that I could pull it off.

You visited the U. S. in 1977 and the second Air and Space museum housed near Dulles airport wasn't opened until 2003. Time for a return trip!

Radu,

Your treatments are certainly valid but they don't work for me, mostly because they're not how I envision the two scenes. The Clipper is made of bright, shiny metal and, for me, that characteristic is removed in your version. By the way, I think you reduced the contrast very effectively (considering that that was what you intended to happen) and the histogram bears that out. It shows that you mapped the tones to distribute them more evenly throughout the middle range.

I like your treatment of the Blackbird much better than your treatment of the Clipper but it downplays the importance of the museum setting and the people enjoying viewing the aircraft. Though I recognize that some elements remain in your version to help provide scale, I feel that the scale is conveyed less strongly because of the four people that you removed.

Just my way of thinking!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd February 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

I like the original treatment best. I believe this Boeing model was the first commercial airliner with a pressurized cabin. Air Vietnam was still flying some of these out of Saigon in 1965; they must have been really old by then.

Paul S

Thank for the nod, Paul. You're right that it was the first commercial aircraft with a pressurized cabin.

This Boeing press release about the exact airplane being discussed in the thread is really interesting. I had no idea that only ten of them were manufactured. Moreover, this is the only Stratoliner still in existence and it has been fully restored to its original condition.