Thread: 5 Minute walk from home

Real Name
    Nigel

5 Minute walk from home

Hello CiS.

Usually, I have been posting Portraiture stuff for feedback and whatnot but on this occasion, I wanted to share with you some pics from my day today. I have lived in my current place, in Portugal for about a year now and although I knew there was a steep walk down a road, into the wilderness, I have never actually ventured down that way, as I have been more inclined to do photography of sunsets along the coast line, or practicing with my home studio lighting.

Anyway, as my wife is away on a family bereavement out of the country, I dragged my little lad on a quick 90 minute all round walk down the road, around the little track and then up the wooden steps back towards our level. Well, to be really honest, my little lad (Rhys 7 - Studio Model, not by choice) dragged me.

Anyway, I wanted to share some photos of our session, one of which is rather amusing.

I would also like some feedback and honest ones work best please. I am always looking to learn.

First image - secluded area some 400 meters down a mountain, taking a nice photograph of this little bridge, and you get a some random dude blowing smoke, in my image, on his moped. How random and how on earth does he expect to ride it up that hill just around the bend because, believe me, it is steep. Still, not a bad result for an image I guess.

Oh, he returned later on talking to me in the local language here, which sadly, I do not speak, so I photographed him too, however, I messed that image up, which is a real shame because he would have suited some NIK Filters.....

5 Minute walk from home

5 Minute walk from home

5 Minute walk from home

5 Minute walk from home

Landscape of the area.

5 Minute walk from home

Thank for looking.

Real Name
    John

Re: 5 Minute walk from home

I like the misty water shots but as in the first there's not enough and in the second the walkway sort of competes with it.

Real Name
    mark

Nice I too like the misty water but the clouds are my favorite.

For me, Nigel, the first photo is too complicated and those trees above the bridge are making the top left corner appear 'too heavy'. A slight crop along the lines of #2 and #3 would help.

Personally, I never like slow shutter running water so never shoot like this myself, but a lot of people like this effect.

I think the scene of #4 has potential, but this particular angle isn't inspiring me. Maybe some more experiments on another day may yield better results. However, would a slight crop from the top and left side produce a better balance?

The last stormy scene looks good. But I'm not sure what is the main item of interest. I wonder if a very slight crop from the bottom and left side may help to give more emphasis to the clouds. But I do mean slight crop, definitely no more than 10%.

Real Name
    Nigel

Thanks for all of your comments. Much appreciated your time taken to look and critique.

I think I was that excited because I found a river with running water. I know, not such a big thing in many places but this was the first one I had found since moving here 12 months ago. I was quite happy with the results but now having received these comments, I can see how they could be made better and gives me somthing to work on next time. I mean, the river is a nice little walk so I will go again.

I also took this one yesterday that I quite like.

5 Minute walk from home

Then I retruned today but ventured a little further where I got more excited when I found this place.

5 Minute walk from home

Thanks again for your comments. I do have lots to develop. The ones posted were the first ones, so I will give your pointers some thought. Regards.

Real Name
    Louise

Hi Nigel,

your last photo is my favorite. The subject is taking front row, the flow of water is well rended. The whites do not appears to be blown out. You do not mentioned what kind of camera you used?

Real Name
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    Hi Nigel,

your last photo is my favorite. The subject is taking front row, the flow of water is well rended. The whites do not appears to be blown out. You do not mentioned what kind of camera you used?
    Thank you very much for your comments. I too am very happy with this last one. I have made several variations of it and they all look pretty nice. This was yet another very lucky find which is within a lovely walking distance from my house.

My Camera is an old one and could use an upgrade but for now and for my purpose, it is pulling off some incredibal results.

It is a Canon EOS 400D (Rebel Xti) but have a nice updated firmware

PP in LightRoom 4 and Photoshop CS6

Regards

Real Name
    Christina

Image 7 is absolutely lovely...

Real Name
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Image 7 is absolutely lovely...
    Thank you for you comment.
    Last edited by Smudger; 23rd February 2013 at 10:48 PM.

Real Name
    mark

mee too on #7