Thread: Resizing images for CiC

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Resizing images for CiC

Resizing images for CiC

I didn't want to highjack Annette's thread (MY CAT BOO in People and Pets) so I thought I would post my thoughts here. My iPad didn't show all of her image in the vertical plane and just barely fit on my 13" laptop. Then when I viewed it on my 21" desktop it fit with room to spare.

The recommended maximum number of pixels in the vertical plane for posting on CiC is 1000 using TinyPic (and smaller with other types of posting). Her image was posted at 1599 vertically. While I am a novice at things technical, it appears that this image is a good object lesson for adhering to the recommendations set forth in this thread: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?. Some viewers may see the image just fine but others may have to scroll to see all of it vertically. If over the limit horizontally, it may be impossible to view all of it.

Those in the know, please fill in the blanks and/or correct any inaccuracies.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Re: Resizing images for CiC

Well now that the post is done, I'll have to say that I'm not that sure of what I have just posted. The image in post #1 was resized by me to 1000 pixels vertically but it still displays exactly as it did on my iPad and my 13" laptop. Does this mean that I can't effectively resize an image that has already been 'born' at a certain size?

Real Name
    Dave

I view images sometimes on my desktop, sometimes on my laptop, and sometimes on my tablet, and yes the images appear as different sizes. However, if I click and show them in Lytebox they always seem to resize nicely for the screen I am using.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    Resizing images for CiC

I didn't want to highjack Annette's thread (MY CAT BOO in People and Pets) so I thought I would post my thoughts here. My iPad didn't show all of her image in the vertical plane and just barely fit on my 13" laptop. Then when I viewed it on my 21" desktop it fit with room to spare.

The recommended maximum number of pixels in the vertical plane for posting on CiC is 1000 using TinyPic (and smaller with other types of posting). Her image was posted at 1599 vertically. While I am a novice at things technical, it appears that this image is a good object lesson for adhering to the recommendations set forth in this thread: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?. Some viewers may see the image just fine but others may have to scroll to see all of it vertically. If over the limit horizontally, it may be impossible to view all of it.

Those in the know, please fill in the blanks and/or correct any inaccuracies.
    What happens when you click on the photo when you are using the iPad?, Does it resize the photo to fit the screen?

Real Name
    John

My laptop resolution is set at 1600x900 and I usually have the view set at 200% but will decrease to 100% when viewing photos. At 200%, photos are larger than the viewing area but if I click on the image it is resized to fit the dimensions of my viewing area.

Real Name
    Richard

I usually link to my photos on smugmug.com and it seems like there is no sizing problem (but, I may be wrong).

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    What happens when you click on the photo when you are using the iPad?, Does it resize the photo to fit the screen?
    As you have mentioned, John, it does resize to fit the screen - on both the iPad and laptop. So that solves the problem of viewing an image comfortably. I'm still a bit baffled at why my downsized version of her image (at the same aspect ratio) shows up at the same size as the larger one. Maybe I'll use this thread to do some experiments later - as time allows.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I usually link to my photos on smugmug.com and it seems like there is no sizing problem (but, I may be wrong).
    The memory is fuzzy but I think I remember trying to link to SmugMug once but there was some kind of problem, so I went back to TinyPic since it is pretty simple and I'm comfortable with it. Richard, do you downsize your images before uploading to SmugMug, and if so, at what size? Thanks.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    . . .
    The recommended maximum number of pixels in the vertical plane for posting on CiC is 1000 using TinyPic (and smaller with other types of posting). Her image was posted at 1599 vertically.
    . . .
    Thanks for a timely thread. I've also been wondering about image file size. As we know, a 1000px wide image can go from 100K to 1M+ depending on file type, compression and, to a lesser extent, content. For my own viewing at home, I'm thinking of standardizing at approx 1000x750 which is convenient for several reasons which are not relevant to this post. However, compression is, so here are two self-hosted versions of the same 1008x756px image one at JPEG 90% ~350KB and one at 35% ~ 100KB, just to see:

Resizing images for CiC

Resizing images for CiC

[edit] the test went well, the image size of 1008x756 seemed OK, the image qualities were about the same unless you pixel-peep. The download time over my slow satellite link for the larger ~350K file was tolerable, indicating that the better quality image need not be re-saved to a lower JPEG quality before posting.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 23rd February 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added test result