Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tree, Arngask

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tree, Arngask

I'm really keen to hear how people react to this image.

I've been trying to envisage reactions, amongst which are:
    • It's boring
    • It's been done before by a thousand other photographers. Start doing your own stuff.
    • The sheer brilliance of your artistic talent leaves me speechless and in awe of such genius (or something like that)
    • It's rubbish. What do you think you're trying to do?

I've been looking at this view for a long time. I've had the camera set up a number of times over the past 18-24 months, but could never 'see' the image.

Maybe what I've written above reveals some of the thoughts/doubts/concerns I've been having about trying to get too clever for my own good!

Tree, Arngask
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @ 251mm. ISO 100. 1/90@f8.

Real Name
    mark

Re: Tree, Arngask

I like it Donald,
    I am a big fan of monochrone and even more so of shots that are not complicated. The waves of light and dark grass draw me to the tree. I want to go see what is on the other side of the hill. I also like the change of texture in the grass fromthe low fence to the tree. Very nice indeed.

Real Name
    Sergio

I agree with what Mark has said in addition to liking the way we're led up to the tree. I also like your post processing with the low contrast and simplicity. I get a feeling of peace and serenity. I like it a lot, Donald. A wonderful image well worth your contemplation.

Sergio

For me, Donald, there is too much out of focus foreground. Another case where a 5 x 4 ratio crop would win against being square.

commenting without qualification, I love the view you captured Donald, but feel I'd want to be closer to that lovely stone wall and majestic old tree. Perhaps the shot taken nearer the first fence-line (but I know that's not always possible).

Real Name
    Terri

This scene makes me anxious - in a worried way. I was trying to figure out why and then I read Geoff's comment about the out of focus foreground and I think that contributes to the feeling. I feel disconnected and contrary to what Mark said, I don't want to see what's on the other side of the fence. This does not convey a sense of peace for me.

Real Name
    John

The first thing I thought was 'I've seen this image before" and I have sort of. Wondering if maybe you have also, not meaning your actual view but a photo with a similar style.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 21st February 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

I feel like you have "almost but not quite" captured it in your usual emotive way, but that it's there, in some rendering. I love the combination of an isolated tree, shooting up to the horizon, and not just one but two stone fences which should enter in beautifully. Perhaps it's the featureless sky, perhaps the amount of fairly featureless foreground grass, but something is rendering this less compelling than the parts would seem to hold potential for.

Not sure this is at all helpful- I'm trying to put into words something that's not even formulated in my head (typically a dangerous recipe ). I hope you'll stick with this one, you've got a good one buried within.

Real Name
    Alfred Forns

More than meets the eye Donald !! At first there was no reaction until my eyes were wondering around the image ! One thing I did notice, my eye is staying on the top part of the image. The oof foreground is competing more than complementing? Sure like your work !!