Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Double-exposure portrait in Duisburg.

Real Name
    Lex

Double-exposure portrait in Duisburg.

A few months ago, I visited my sister during her year-long internship in Duisburg, Germany. There's a fantastic abandoned steel mill there, cleverly repurposed as a tourist attraction via lots of colored lights all over the grounds. This shot's a 10-second tripod exposure with a 1/8th power 580EX II flash firing into a large ExpoImaging FlashBender diffusion panel, held at her eye level to camera left.

I'm interested in technical and aesthetic suggestions for improvement. This is definitely a shot where the technical success is skewing my ability to judge the aesthetics. Hard to be objective about your own work sometimes.

Double-exposure portrait in Duisburg.

Re: Double-exposure portrait in Duisburg.

Those lights by her knee have to go.

Possibly if she was just a fraction to the left it would create a better balance. But I'm not overly worried by this.

But a good photograph, particularly considering your shooting limitations.

Real Name
    Lex

CiC is a great forum for those "how the @$%*#! did I miss that?!" suggestions. Cheers, Geoff. I'll clone out the lights.

My biggest shooting limitation was my sister's impatience. Love her to death, but I had 4 tries to get everything from exposure to flash power to gesture right. Since she's a photographer, I'd think she'd understand, but she'd already spent quite a while waiting for me to finish a series of hare-brained and ultimately futile attempts to shoot my own ride in a big enclosed slide at the site.

Real Name
    Frank

Very good & creative shot.

BTW, an English friend of mine has written and performed a song about the Duisburg steel mill. You can listen to an extract here: http://www.westbrookjazz.co.uk/katew...k/liftcd.shtml