Thread: Problem with composition and exposure

Problem with composition and exposure

Hi, this is my first post.
    So I made this photo when I travelling by the road to back home, I'm backing from a birthday of 15 years old and we resolve stop and make this photo.
    I not find the original photo without edition.

P.S. sorry, because my English is very poor. If want fix my written I will be very glad.

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

Re: Problem with composition and exposure

Welcome, Cecar! Don't worry if your English is not perfect, here we speak with pictures and yours is a fine and well done photo. I usually don't like people "walking out of the frame", but for this photo the placement and composition works very well. Keep it up!

As Ludwig said, I prefer to avoid the main subject leaving or looking out of the image frame.

But in this case, she is looking straight ahead so it isn't a serious problem.

As an alternative, I may try cropping the left side to something around 5 x 4 ratio. This will move her away from the 1/3 line but as it is really a portrait, I don't see any problem over this.

What was your shutter speed? It looks as though there is a little bit of motion blur in the right side of her dress. But not a problem in an action shot.

So a nice and interesting photograph all round.

Real Name
    Kevin

Nicely done, Cecar, and welcome to CiC

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    As Ludwig said, I prefer to avoid the main subject leaving or looking out of the image frame.

But in this case, she is looking straight ahead so it isn't a serious problem.

As an alternative, I may try cropping the left side to something around 5 x 4 ratio. This will move her away from the 1/3 line but as it is really a portrait, I don't see any problem over this.

What was your shutter speed? It looks as though there is a little bit of motion blur in the right side of her dress. But not a problem in an action shot.

So a nice and interesting photograph all round.
    I will try this recommendations. thanks

Real Name
    Antonio

Hi Cerc, the picture is very beautiful. If you accept my humble opinion the sight of the girl has something strage (She looks somewere but it doesn't convince me at 100%).Anyway great pic!

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Cecar,

I like the composition. Although the girl is to the right and her posture indicates she is "leaving" the frame, the dress extending out behind her shifts the weight towards the centre of the picture, and the space to the left of the dress gives it the freedom to move. The dress in front of her is close to her body, and sits nicely with the right edge of the frame being so close.

So the slightly unorthodox composition works for me.

It's a lovely picture, and if the girl had looked directly at the camera with a smile on her face, then that would have been the icing on the cake.

Tony

Real Name
    Ken

Lovely photo, goes to show that the rules of composition, rule of thirds etc are made to be broken. I love the lighting on your subject's face. Keep it up.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

What a beautiful image.

( btw, she looks as if she's actually twirling back towards the center. her skirt, her right hands moving , circling around towards her left and back to the center. Like a flamenco dance. So her location on the right works for me. )

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Cecar, welcome to the Forum!

No worries about the language. English is my first and only language and I am poor at it! I admire the fact that you have more than one language.

I have to say I rather like this composition. I think it is a beautiful outdoor portrait.

If you are open to suggestion, and you have some editing software available to you, I would offer a couple of suggestions for your consideration.

Do you think your lovely model may look a bit soft? A bit of sharpening might help.

Since you mentioned exposure in your title, I wonder if the sky might look a little washed out. And possibly the lighting on the model a bit flat? If you were to drop your exposure by a half stop or so and add some contrast I think it might also help bring out some detail in the model’s dress and add some drama to the shot. I also noticed some sensor dust spots in the sky.

As an example, I have taken the liberty to illustrate my thoughts on your lovely photograph Cecar. As always, if I have taken too much liberty with your shot I will be happy to take it away.

Cecar, may I also please wish a “Happy Birthday” to your lovely model?

Last edited by Loose Canon; 22nd February 2013 at 01:23 AM.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Welcome Cecar, I like it a lot, very nice pose and composition. The only thing that bothers me is the grass in the foreground isnt level. It may be on a slope but it is distracting. Good work.