Thread: elements 9

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

elements 9

Hi all I have a problem when saving an image in elements 9 as a jpeg i get no small image with file on lap top or external hard drive all i see is the file name and a sheet with top right hand corner turned down and when i click on file it opens in elements .this has happened in the last two days , has anyone come across this before .regards pat

Real Name
    John

Re: elements 9

Are you looking through Windows Explorer or another browser? Click on View and see if icon, detail, or thumb is selected. If you choose thumb the image should appear.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Hi John in Windows Explorer when i click on Veiw and then on image file i get a message asking which program i want to open file with .

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pat brennan View Post
    Hi John in Windows Explorer when i click on Veiw and then on image file i get a message asking which program i want to open file with .
    Pat,

The photo should automatically open with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. If you have another graphics program installed you can associate jpegs with that program instead. What are the choices given to you when the "which program" message appears?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi I am not sure what version of windows you are using but seems like the default programme for opening jpeg files has been set to elements 9 rather than windows photoviewer. You need to via the control panel change the setting.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Pat,

The photo should automatically open with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. If you have another graphics program installed you can associate jpegs with that program instead. What are the choices given to you when the "which program" message appears?
    Hi John before last week when i clicked on a file it always opened in Windows Photo Gallery now it is listing all programs for me to select one to open file with .regards pat

Real Name
    John

Hi John before last week when i clicked on a file it always opened in Windows Photo Gallery now it is listing all programs for me to select one to open file with .regards pat
    Pat,

Check to see if the change is happening with all of your photos. Choose your default or Windows Photo Gallery program as your choice for viewing jpegs and it should ask if you want this change for similar files.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Pat,

Check to see if the change is happening with all of your photos. Choose your default or Windows Photo Gallery program as your choice for viewing jpegs and it should ask if you want this change for similar files.
    Hi Shadowman have tried what you suggest and older phots are ok will open when i click on them in windows only photos that i have worked on inthe last three weeks .I am beging to suspect tha it is some thing tat has changed in elements or something i am doing wrong i suspect the former as i do what i have always done when saving in elements.regards Pat

Real Name
    John

Hi Shadowman have tried what you suggest and older phots are ok will open when i click on them in windows only photos that i have worked on inthe last three weeks .I am beging to suspect tha it is some thing tat has changed in elements or something i am doing wrong i suspect the former as i do what i have always done when saving in elements.regards Pat
    Have you installed any new plug-ins lately?

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Have you installed any new plug-ins lately?
    Hi Shadowman No plugs-in or new programs installed lately but i have noticed tonight that when saving an image if i click copy in elements when saving i can open it in windows but i have to click copy every time i save an image never had to click copy before

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Pat, when using Photoshop if you have more than one layer it defaults to saving as a PDD or a file type capable of savings layers. If you "save as" and make it a JPEG you need to change its name or it adds copy to the file name. Make sure you have flattened your image before saving as a JPEG file. I do not use elements 9 so I am not sure what it does when you just save with several layers in the image.

A JPEG file does not support layers.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Hi pnodrog when i finish with an image ialways save two copys one as apsd and one as a flatten jpeg .regards pat

Real Name
    Ted

In that same dialog or pop-up there should be a checkbox for you to tell it to always use the program you select to open the files in the future. Talking XP, though.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Hi All thanks to every onefor advice i have now discovered what the problem was .it was caused by a dot been added after jpeg now to find how this happened ,again thanks for all the advice.regards pat