Thread: Nik plugins - a follow up workflow question

Real Name
    Dave

Nik plugins - a follow up workflow question

Thanks for the earlier guidance.

Now I've done a bit more reading, I understand that Nik software does modify the image.

I'm editing in LR, from RAW, and don't have the CSn software, though I do have PSE9. So normally, all my editing is parametric and non-destructive. I imagine then that it makes most sense to do all that I want to in LR, before "handing over" the image to Nik for final editing, and I will then end up with a JPEG or TIFF. At least that is what I seem to understand from the forums I have found.

Is that right?

Dave

Real Name
    Arslan Türegün

Re: Nik plugins - a follow up workflow question

Hi Dave,
    I am not familiar with LR but I think you can find Nik plugins under filters in the LR. At least in photoshop they are there so I can use them like normal filters during my non destructive editing.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Dave: when you download if you have not done so, it askes you your operating system (Photoshop or Lightroom) and downloads the correct one for your post production. You do not just use them for your just your final output, as you make use it partway through your workflow than make some more changes back in lightroom. I believe they have some videos that show it being used just in Lightroom.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks. I've now downloaded the trial of Silver Efex Pro, which is rather compelling, so I think I now understand how it works.

You hand over your RAW image plus LR edits to Nik which applies the edits to give you TIF(?) image to work on. Once you have finished in Nik, you Save the image, which re-appears in your LR catalogue as a renamed TIFF. So far as I can see, you do not have access to any earlier edits (which surely must be the case if I am understanding what is going on).

Any corrections and clarifications - please!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    So far as I can see, you do not have access to any earlier edits (which surely must be the case if I am understanding what is going on).
    Dave

I don't know if I'm understanding the question, but if you mean - Once I have saved from SEP2 I cannot then take the same image back into SEP2 and see any previous edits that I did in order to adjust them.

If that is the question then, as a Lightroom user, you are correct. It can be done with the latest version of Photoshop and if anything was ever going to make me think of becoming a Photoshop user, that would the one single thing that would do it. I would love to have that facility.

But I'm glad you're finding SEP2 compelling. It is a fascinating and fantastic tool. If you really want to explore what it can do, look at some of the Nik 'On demand' video tutorials, here.

Real Name
    Altay

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Thanks. I've now downloaded the trial of Silver Efex Pro, which is rather compelling, so I think I now understand how it works.

You hand over your RAW image plus LR edits to Nik which applies the edits to give you TIF(?) image to work on. Once you have finished in Nik, you Save the image, which re-appears in your LR catalogue as a renamed TIFF. So far as I can see, you do not have access to any earlier edits (which surely must be the case if I am understanding what is going on).

Any corrections and clarifications - please!
    You're right ... after processing an image in Silver FX, you have a new file and you can not access the previous conversions made in LR or in SilverFX. if you want to change the original adjustments in LR, you may change them for your original file and reprocess it in Silver FX.

Another way is to creat virtual copies and working on them in Silver FX or any other program.
    Last edited by AltayHan; 20th February 2013 at 10:02 PM.

This issue has been discussed in many other places. Lightroom users have the frustration of editing in NIK, bringing the newly created TIF back to Lightroom and no ability to re-edit in NIK. If you have Photoshop, you can bring the Lightroom file into Photoshop as a Smart Object and create a layer for each NIK plug-in. At this point, I believe, it can then be saved and brought back into Lightroom to edit there (?) and then be able to bring it back into Photoshop to re-edit the NIK plug-ins (it keeps the Control Points). I am not sure about the re-editing in Lightroom. Either way, it is still a complicated process for someone who does not have expertise in all three programs. I gave up and made a log of all my edits in Lightroom and NIK so I could duplicate any combination of edits.