Thread: Imprint image of bird on window

Real Name
    Debbie

Imprint image of bird on window

I have a large window that captures light from other directions I am trying to capture a photo of a birds imprint(poor thing) on the window. The imprint is very clear. The reflections I get are the challenge. I have tried black paper white paper and a polarized lens ( first time used ) any ideas ? The imprint is unique because the poor bird hit so hard I can see his feathers, beak and sadly, eyes ).

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Imprint image of bird on window

The imprint is dirt and dust (possibly other stuff) from the bird.
    If you can, use an off camera flash (or other light source) to backlight the image, then shoot the image.
    If you use a lamp or other low powered light, place your camera on a tripod and use a suitable long shutter speed.
    Leave the light source out of camera view (or flag it off - that is, place something between it and the camera, so as to eliminate flare) somewhere behind (not in direct line with) the imprint. For example, if the imprint is 6' above ground level, place the light source several feet behind the window below the imprint by at least a couple of feet. Place the camera on a tripod and set fairly close to level (if possible) to the imprint (reduces DoF requirements). Take picture. Don't be surprised if ALL the other dirt on the window is revealed, you may need to clean around the imprint and retake (quicker than photoshopping it all out).

The backlighting technique (with flash) works great when capturing smoke trails which is similar in this respect to the imprint.
    Hope that helps.
    Graham

Real Name
    Debbie

Re: Imprint image of bird on window

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    The imprint is dirt and dust (possibly other stuff) from the bird.
    If you can, use an off camera flash (or other light source) to backlight the image, then shoot the image.
    If you use a lamp or other low powered light, place your camera on a tripod and use a suitable long shutter speed.
    Leave the light source out of camera view (or flag it off - that is, place something between it and the camera, so as to eliminate flare) somewhere behind (not in direct line with) the imprint. For example, if the imprint is 6' above ground level, place the light source several feet behind the window below the imprint by at least a couple of feet. Place the camera on a tripod and set fairly close to level (if possible) to the imprint (reduces DoF requirements). Take picture. Don't be surprised if ALL the other dirt on the window is revealed, you may need to clean around the imprint and retake (quicker than photoshopping it all out).

The backlighting technique (with flash) works great when capturing smoke trails which is similar in this respect to the imprint.
    Hope that helps.
    Graham
    Wow. I never would have considered that I am a novice but game for anything. I tried a couple new shots yesterday but have not had the opportunity to work with them the flash is such a problem. Thank you! Rain expected Wednesday I need to get on it.