Thread: Field of deer

Real Name
    Steve

Field of deer

Feeding on a ridge top, in a snow storm. Kind of a tight composition, had to squeeze everyone in.

Field of deer

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Field of deer

From the titile was expecting something like Paul's elk herd of thousands.

Another very nice shot. Actually I like how the vertical dark trees complement the horizontal brown of the deer.

The snow seems to be underexposed somewhat.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You have raised the bar so high with your other images of the deer that this one standing on its own doesn't seem to rise to that very high standard for me. Disagreeing with Bobo, I miss the warm tones in most of the trees that otherwise complement the tones of the deer so well. I also wish more deer had been facing more toward the camera. Last, either the light or the post-processing doesn't produce the magical clarity in this one that I have come to expect based on your other images. Having said that, this photo would perhaps work exceptionally well when presented with your other photos to display the habits of the deer.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th February 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Great capture, nice image. Hummingbirds in the summer...Deer in the winter.

Real Name
    steve

I agree with Bobo , love how the darker tones of the trees make the warmer colours
    of the Deer stand out even more .

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    I am almost certain that Steve has both hummers and deer in his backyard. He sits with camera in one hand and a beer/coffee in another and shoots as he please all the while gently rocking to and fro in a rocking chair.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    From the titile was expecting something like Paul's elk herd of thousands.

Another very nice shot. Actually I like how the vertical dark trees complement the horizontal brown of the deer.

The snow seems to be underexposed somewhat.

Thanks bobo, perhaps a touch dark.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You have raised the bar so high with your other images of the deer that this one standing on its own doesn't seem to rise to that very high standard for me. Disagreeing with Bobo, I miss the warm tones in most of the trees that otherwise complement the tones of the deer so well. I also wish more deer had been facing more toward the camera. Last, either the light or the post-processing doesn't produce the magical clarity in this one that I have come to expect based on your other images. Having said that, this photo would perhaps work exceptionally well when presented with your other photos to display the habits of the deer.

Thanks mike, just weeding through the last images and decided to edit this one. It was snowing pretty hard, which is why it's not as clear. (i used my normal edit) Just a different look and decided to keep this one.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post

Thanks joe, can't wait for the hummers to return. May do some nesting herrons and some spring turkeys, before the hummers...............

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveuk13 View Post
    I agree with Bobo , love how the darker tones of the trees make the warmer colours
    of the Deer stand out even more .

Thank you steve.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I am almost certain that Steve has both hummers and deer in his backyard. He sits with camera in one hand and a beer/coffee in another and shoots as he please all the while gently rocking to and fro in a rocking chair.

Actually i do have both in the back yard.............................................. .....and i prefer a cold beer , as i rock to and fro.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Just a different look and decided to keep this one.
    There's no doubt that it's a keeper. I wonder if I have come to expect a particular look so much that I am jaded when I see a photo of your deer that has a different look. If so, that says much more about me than your photo.