Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: On the rocks~

Real Name
    Krissy

On the rocks~

Just playing around . . . is there any way to get rid of the brightness?

On the rocks~

Real Name
    Paul

Re: On the rocks~

You should be able to reduce the highlights with no problem. The problem you will face though is that in the blown area on the left there is no detail recorded having been fully blown out. This area will look the same but less bright and depending on what program you use my just become a light grey blotch.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Krissy,
    I can appriciate you playing around with images like this. I believe we learn lots by doing this kind of thing.
    It is good to now the limitations of the tools you are using. In this image the dynamic range, the camera can handle, limits whatever will be exposed correctly. Getting the correct exposure in the brightest area would render te beautiful deep blue very dark and without any detail.
    Looking at the histogram you will see clipped "spikes" on the right and there should also be clipped "spikes" om the left. Whatever you do, if the dynamic range is to wide for your camera to handle, you will not get everything in the image correctly exposed, or at least for as long as cameras have a limited dynamic range it can handle. SIMPLY LIVE WITH IT.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Hi Krissy,

As Paul described: the detail is unrecoverable but the brightness can be mitigated, stopping somewhere short of grey, but stopping where ever desired.

On the rocks~
    Last edited by Lon Howard; 18th February 2013 at 06:15 AM.