Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cold, Wet and Grey

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Cold, Wet and Grey

The first chance to get serious with the camera in 2013 (I was starting to forget what the camera looked like and starting to get quite down as a result. I needed to get out.). And first time to seriously road test the new Angle Finder that I bought myself for Christmas.

I recently wrote, in response to an introductory message from a new member, that my partner is still waiting for me to produce the lovely colour images that she thought/hoped would pour forth when I re-discovered photography. When I show her stuff like this, it's not quite, "Oh God, not another depressing B & W", but you get the idea! But I enjoy it.

Anyway, what are your views. Has a lot of play with how much contrast to put into this ... or not. How do you think you would have treated it?

Cold, Wet and Grey
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11 mm. ISO100. 1/20s @f11
    Last edited by Donald; 16th February 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Real Name
    Rudi

Re: Cold, Wet and Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I recently wrote in response to an introductory message from a new member, that my partner is still waiting for me to produce the lovely colour images that she thought/hoped would pour forth when I re-discovered photography. When I show her stuff like this, it's not quite, "Oh Go, not another depressing B & W", but you get the idea! But I enjoy it.

Anyway, what are your views. Has a lot of play with how much contrast to put into this ... or not. How do you think you would have treated it?

Cold, Wet and Grey
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11 mm. ISO100. 1/20s @f11
    Hi Donald,
    Personally I do also prefer a nice color picture, though I really can appreciate B&W.....
    I really haven't tried B&W myself, but I I would consider the following:
    I would try to put more contrast in it. I would also consider a crop, above and to the right off the tree so the tree comes in the right third part (I hope my explanation makes sense....). So the tree becomes the real focal point. Cut off a little bit off the bottom so that the wire gives some stronger leading lines towards the tree.
    This might work for me, maybe not for you.
    My 2 cents worth..
    Regards, Rudi

Edit: While playing around a little bit with the image: I would rather go down a bit in contrast!!! Long live PP, changes are so easy to make
    Last edited by rudi; 16th February 2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: mistake

Real Name
    Giacomo

Wow Donald,
    coldness and wetness are perfectly conveyed!

If it was mine, I would have removed about half of the sky above the tree and also a little crop at the bottom to remove the "unidentified emerging object", but I suppose it's a matter of personal preferences.

About contrast, any change I could do, I'm sure that it would only worsen the image

Cheers

Real Name
    Kevin

I have a very specific question. I have recently resolved to study and obtain a better feel for determining when foreground objects enhance or detract from the overall image. I have succeeded in only confusing myself, and coming up with no useful guidelines. A project in progress I hope.

But at my present level of thwarted evolution, I would see the foreground stone here as more a distraction than an important contribution. I'm very curious as to others' thoughts.

Real Name
    Paul

Hi Donald, this image strikes me a little different than your usual. That is not to say it is bad. I like it fine, although it lacks you usual deep mood. I think as for contrast, I might lessen it a smidge. Composition wise the only change I would make... would be a slight rotation as the reflection does not line up.

The trouble with any scene like this is that if you want to have a square crop you are going to get quite a lot of plain grey sky in a monochrome version. And a strong image in the lower half just makes the sky look plainer.

A reduction in the amount of sky certainly produces a stronger image for me; and the road looks a little longer.

Simply cropping tighter and reducing the top plus sides to retain a square ratio doesn't really work as an alternative.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    "Oh Go, not another depressing B & W"
    Would that mean the world of "colour blind" people is depressing????

Donald I would crop out a bit on the right hand side and also the rock in the foreground, making the tree the subject of the image. As far as contrast goes I like the tones in the image. Adding contrast will lose to much detail on the left above the water.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Donald: me I like that little rock, the only thing I might to is crop a touch off the bottom so a small portion of the rocks's shadow bleeds off the image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks, folks, for all your views and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Composition wise the only change I would make... would be a slight rotation as the reflection does not line up.
    Highlighted my stupidity in not checking the basics. I have corrected my master file so that the telegraph poles on the right are vertical. The reflected fence posts on the left still don't line exactly, but I quite like the effect of that bit of perspective distortion caused by the ultra wide angle lens. One of the reasons why it's good to get comments on here - others spot the things that you've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    A reduction in the amount of sky certainly produces a stronger image for me and the road looks a little longer.
    I understand what folks mean and can see the arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Would that mean the world of "colour blind" people is depressing????
    Not in itself ... I hope! More reflective of my personality I think - all heavy and serious rather than filled with bright and jumping colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Donald: me I like that little rock,
    I note what a number has said. By the way, whilst it does look like a rock, it is in fact a discarded crisp/potato chip bag. I spent a long time looking through the Angle Finder mounted on the camera trying to decide whether to include it in the composition or not. I was very conscious that doing so could render it just a distraction. But then, without it there, that bottom left area seemed, to me, to be come a bit boring. So that was the thinking process that was going on at the time.

Real Name
    Rudi

Hi Donald,
    As I have no experience with Landscape photography, there is no doubt in my mind that you see more in this picture than I do.
    My apologies for my stupid question, but can you explain why you included so much sky, is there a particular reason ?
    Regards,
    Rudi

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Well done, Donald! The need to use your angle finder makes me appreciate the articulating LCD on my wife's camera.

About contrast: Perhaps I'm prejudiced by seeing the image presented as is, but I wouldn't change a thing except maybe one slight change mentioned immediately below.

About the bag in the lower left corner: It works very well for me because of the muddy tracks on the right side of the puddle. I like showing the reflection of the tree in the context of the rest of the scene. You might want to consider lowering the contrast of the bag and its shadow just to see if it then blends in with the image a bit more so as not to pull the viewer's eye to that corner of the photo.

About the sky: The predominant use of the sky in the photo is your style. That's a good enough reason for me to recommend leaving it as is.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 17th February 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Good to see you back at it donald.

I don't mind the bag at the bottom left. It adds depth to the image and it is good to have small things to rest they eyes on, as you view around an image. Besides................ the bag, the reflection ,and the tree, make a strong triangle shape .