Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another question about converting RAW photos file to JPEG ...

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Another question about converting RAW photos file to JPEG ...

Hello everyone,
    I'm really puzzled by the above. Firstly I use an iMac and MacBook Pro RD with Aperture and of course the iPhoto software that came with the computers.
    My recent photos shot at Bocuse d'Or were all in RAW format and in trying to pass the selected photos to be published(?), I've found that PCs (my daughter's) can't read and display them and a message says that they're corrupted or damaged, yet will display on my Macs. Has this got something to do with them being burned to CDs by an OSX system?
    Thanks in advance for any help. Have a great and blessed weekend.
    Regards
    Anthony Tam

Sorry forgot to add that I had converted them from RAW to JPEG using Canon's Digital Photo Professional software without any post processing.
    Last edited by hytam; 16th February 2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added more info.

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Re: Another question about converting RAW photos file to JPEG ...

I'll refine my question to make it clearer .... do PCs read a different "kind" of JPEG than Mac systems? Do I need to convert them using a special software? Thanks.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Try looking at the following ......

http://www.ehow.com/how_5807149_conv...pg-pc-jpg.html

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Hi L.Paul,
    Thanks for the link, I'm amazed at how fast it converted nearly 400 photos to jpegs and will consider purchasing it soon. Does this mean that PCs actually read a different kind of jpeg from Macs?? Did Canon's Digital Photo Professional convert the Raw photos to a Mac friendly JPEG because it's loaded on a Mac? So many questions.
    Regards,
    Anthony Tam

Anthony:

A few comments:

1) A RAW file is not an image file - it is the raw data from the camera's sensor. It must be converted to be visible as an image. Lightroom does this automatically (I use LR4). My files are never converted by LR, but LR displays them on my screen (for now let's not get into the process or the pros and cons of converting images from RAW - it can be contentious).

2) In order for someone else to see your RAW images, they must have software that will recognize and display your RAW files.
    - or they must be converted to an image format (there are several image formats: JPEG, TIFF, PSD, DNG).

3) Virtually any computer will recognize a JPEG file and will display it as an image on the screen. Both PC and Mac machines will display JPEG images (and I think both will display TIFF and DNG images - not sure about PSD).

Glenn

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Microsoft has come out with a codec to enable RAW files to be converted into an image on MS machines. You will still need an image viewer that can open these files. You can get the coded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=26829

I've never had any issues reading image or video files between MS and Mac platforms.

Real Name
    Richard

I was always under the impression that JPEG files were cross platform and that any JPEG saved in one program could be opened by any other JPEG capable program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

RAW files are something totally different and are proprietary, needing software compatible to open.

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by hytam View Post
    I'll refine my question to make it clearer .... do PCs read a different "kind" of JPEG than Mac systems? Do I need to convert them using a special software? Thanks.
    A jpeg file is a jpeg file, however the way they are written to cd might differ between mac and pc. You have to make sure that you use ISO9660 (or Joliet) when burning a cd you want to use on a pc.

Edit: a quick googling found this solution:
    To create a CD or DVD to be viewed in Windows or by a photo-processing company:

In iPhoto, select the photos, albums, or video clips you want to burn to a disc.

Choose File > Export.

In the Export Photos window, click File Export, and then select your options.

For best results, choose JPEG, Maximum, and Full Size. For more information, see Export a photo.

When you’re ready, click Export, and export the photos to a folder on your computer.

When the export is finished, quit iPhoto.

Click the Finder icon in the Dock, and then insert a CD-RW disc or a blank CD-R or DVD-R disc into your drive.

Drag the folder that contains your exported photos to the disc’s icon.

When the files have been copied, choose File > Burn Disc, and then click Burn.
    So it looks like iPhoto is using a non windows compatible format to burn cds and you hav eto use finder to do your burning.
    Last edited by Hero; 16th February 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Hello all and g'day,

I've done some trials on my Mac and realized that sometimes the burn program informs that it will burn CDs that are readable on both systems depending on how it is asked/setup to burn. I've only ever had to burn CDs for my own record keeping/storage and had never had to pass on images to PC users before and that's why the confusion even though I've burned heaps of CDs in the past for friends with Macs. So we keep learning everyday.

Thank you to Glenn, Manfred, Richard and Hero for your contribution in clearing things up for me. And yes, iPhoto does only convert files to Mac accessable JPEG files with no option for convertion to PC readable ones, as all Macs come preloaded with iPhoto.

Have a blessed Sunday and a successful week ahead,
    Anthony Tam.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I was always under the impression that JPEG files were cross platform and that any JPEG saved in one program could be opened by any other JPEG capable program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

RAW files are something totally different and are proprietary, needing software compatible to open.
    You said it best - I didn't say it as concisely as you did.

G

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by hytam View Post
    And yes, iPhoto does only convert files to Mac accessable JPEG files with no option for convertion to PC readable ones, as all Macs come preloaded with iPhoto.
    Slight correction to your assumption: It's not the JPEG files themselfs that are the problem, it's the way they are burned to cd that renders them unreadable on PC. (comparable with mac has written it in red ink but pc kan only read blue ink)