Thread: Canon G15 RAW

Real Name
    Steve Rubelmann

Canon G15 RAW

I just purchased a Canon G15, partly due to its RAW capability. Overall, the camera exceeds my expectations, but the .CR2 file format (which is the same as my older dSLR), is not compatible with the older camera's RAW processing software nor with Adobe CS3 RAW converter. I am working through the new Canon ImageBrowser and Digital Photo Professional to process my RAW files, but am finding the new Canon software very cumbersome and find myself wishing I could somehow make CS3 work with the new .CR2 files like it does with the old .CR2 files from my dSLR. I would, of course, prefer not to purchase a new Adobe CS(x) product. Any help will be appreciated.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Canon G15 RAW

Hi Steve

The latest update to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR 7) that comes with CS6 can handle the G15 files. However I don't believe you can update an earlier version of CS to this functionality. My suggestion would be to consider Lightroom 4 which is considerably cheaper than CS6 but has the same raw processing engine and functionality. Alternatively you could use DPP (which I think is quite OK when you get used to it) to do very basic raw processing and then move into CS3 with a tiff file for further work.

Dave

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Steve,

You could convert the G15 raw files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG converter. You should then be able to process the DNG through CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/pho...html#downloads

It is an extra step but it will not cost you anything to try it out for a workflow. The utility supports all the latest formats included in ACR including the G15.

Alex

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Hi Steve,

You could convert the G15 raw files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG converter. You should then be able to process the DNG through CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/pho...html#downloads

It is an extra step but it will not cost you anything to try it out for a workflow. The utility supports all the latest formats included in ACR including the G15.

Alex
    Good idea Alex. It's an extra step but you can do a batch of files at once so it's really not much of a chore.

I suppose the only advantage using LR4 is that you are using the latest raw convertor from Adobe which many feel is a big improvement over earlier versions. Many people including myself do most of their processing in LR4 or ACR7.

Dave

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Maybe this will help, been told it will work for the G15 Raw files.

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfilter.html

Real Name
    Steve Rubelmann

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I will try them one at a time and see which works best for me. I never heard of DNG format but am willing to try it. I have found that if I install the G15 software, it will handle the previous .CR2 version from my dSLR, so maybe I can work that way. My goal is to have one program for both cameras. Once I have a TIFF or JPG file, I can then move to CS3 for pp.

I'm a new owner of a canon G15. I was happy with my G9 for five years but it died. With the G9 I was able to import both the jpeg and raw into iphoto quickly and efficiently, but with the G15 -even after a up-grade to my Mac operating system to 10.6- the raws do NOT import into iphoto and I must bring them in with the slow, very slow canon software. I would prefer to stick with my simple ways and import both through iphoto. Is that possibility now gone.
    Thanks for any help!
    t

Real Name
    Steve Rubelmann

I just downloaded Lightroom 4 (30-day trial), and I think that is what I will use. It is way faster than the new Canon ImageBrowser and somewhat easier to use. I will have to get more familiar with it. I can tell it to start my Photoshop CS3 after it finishes developing the RAW file, so I can do any fine tuning I wish to do. I never got the free DNG program to see the G15 .CR2 files where I knew I put them, so once I can cough up the bucks to buy LR4, that's where I will be. TerryC, my guess is that your iphoto software will not be usable for the new G15 files. It sucks, but that's progress I guess. I was so comfortable with my workflow until I got the G15 and now I need to learn new stuff.

Real Name
    Robert

I have the Canon G1X (love it!) I highly recommend what I consider is the best method for these .CR2 images- use the free "Adobe DNG Converter" (search adobe for the download)
    You get the best of your RAW file information AND I have found that the .DNG files will open in Photoshop Elements V6.! (Now up to version 11 ?) and many other editing programs.
    I needed the DNG RAW files to be able to edit in Lightroom-3. (LR3 did not recognize the CR2 files from the Canon G1X)
    My method is this-
    1. Create 'download' and 'output' folders in the computer,
    2. Copy the camera CR2 files to 'download', (I use a USB Card reader and Windows File Explorer for this)
    3. Run the DNG Converter program selecting the 'download' folder for a batch conversion,
    4. Set the converter to- Save DNG files to 'output',
    5. Import into Lightroom using the 'Move' option, to save them where preferred, or simply use computer file management to put them where wanted for your preferred editing options.

I admit it involves extra steps, but it saves having to upgrade to the latest software.

Real Name
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    1. Create 'download' and 'output' folders in the computer,.....
    Big Hint- just learned from watching CreativeLive "photoshopweek"-
    In Lightroom (v4) set up AUTO IMPORT. The dialog box to set this up is under the top Menu > File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings. (a bit complicated- I must admit, but worth the trouble.) This feature can also be used for exporting images to another Catalog (maybe on an external hard-drive)
    In my post above the 'output' folder will be the 'watched' folder and any image put in there will be automatically imported into the Lightroom catalog.
    And.! a big advantage of DNG raw files is that they can have all lightroom adjustments embedded in the DNG file for easy sharing of files (and the adjustments) with friends and other computers, you just need to 'save' the adjustments into the file with the command CTRL+S. I now know about 5% of Lightroom's incredible capabilities!

Real Name
    Greg

FWIW: I have just been through this RAW hassle. I am still running Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP. Lightroom 4 (and most other current imaging software) won't run on good old rock-solid XP. Vista seems to be the very oldest OS required. So I downloaded DNG converter and everything is sweet. CS3 with ACR 4.6 can see the DNG files. And I agree with the OP, Canon's DPP is cumbersome, although it appears to have most -- not all -- of ACR's features.