Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rowing

Rowing

We started to talk about rowing pictures on Geoff's project 2013. I just approached rowing by photographic point of view this summer, since for many years I practiced this sport.
    So I start this post to share my (few) pics for C&C, and I'd like very much to see yours, both to learn something about photography and to take a look on how is rowing around the world!
    Up to now I've few pictures, because there are only 5 sea-rowing race in my city and are all between may and beginning of july. (I never photographed "olympic rowing", it's less spectacular IMHO...)

below some pics for C&C
    thanks for viewing and for share

Rowing
    In this one I focused on the boat which was on top of the race, but IMO the position of the oars and rowers (not in tension) makes the subject less eye-catching than the other boats...

Rowing

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Rowing

You really captured the energy, interesting light, the splash of water, and the story in the first one. I especially like the story told by the two spectator boats.

My disappointment is that the front boat and rowers are not sharp. Considering that the next boat and rowers are sharp, I gather that you didn't have enough depth of field or focused on the wrong boat.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

My disappointment is that the front boat and rowers are not sharp. Considering that the next boat and rowers are sharp, I gather that you didn't have enough depth of field or focused on the wrong boat.
    thank you Mike for your feedback
    I agree, you are right:
    honestly, I decided to keep in focus only the team (boat) in the first position of the race , in order to make the boat the very subject of the pic.
    I think that it doesn't work well, and perhaps the main reason is that the blurred area in the frame is too large...

I will try an other way next time

thanks
    cheers
    N

two pics, "close up"

Rowing
    it's not well framed but it wasn't so easy: there were lots of person running in front of my lens!

Rowing