Thread: Girl Texting

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Girl Texting

I like the composition of this photo. Unfortunately there is a bit of camera shake (my perpetual problem) and her white sweater has some lost detail I could not recover without changing other things in the photograph. Comments welcomed.

Girl Texting

Karm

Real Name
    John

Re: Girl Texting

Took awhile to find her, very nice dizzying patterns.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Spectacular composition! It works great in black-and-white.

I quickly added some sharpening that worked effectively without adding artifacts. Unless your lens has image stabilization, you were shooting at a dangerously low shutter speed.

You mentioned that you can't improve the detail in the woman's clothes without adversely affecting other areas of the photo. It's really important to be able to affect only a selected area of an image. If your software doesn't allow that or if you haven't learned how to do it, that would be a great item to add to the top of your "to do" list.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Spectacular composition! It works great in black-and-white.
    I agree.

It's seeing it in the first place that's the start of the process of picture-making. I'm sure the vast majority of people, who are not thinking as a photographer, would never have seen this as a likely picture.

Thanks Mike. I use Lightroom 4 and the various Nik products. I isolated her sweater and attempted various ways of bringing out a bit more texture in her sweater but none seemed to really work. One thing that did work was using one of Nik's film effect options. However, I did not like what any of them did to the rest of the photo.

Karm

Real Name
    Travis

Donald is spot on about seeing as a photographer. I absolutely love this shot. I've spent a lot of time lugging my camera through the streets of Philadelphia and jumped for joy when an image like this appeared in front of me. Nice work.

Thanks Travis. I especially appreciate your comment given that you sound like someone who enjoys street photography.

Karm