Thread: Misty morning

Real Name
    Jeff

Misty morning

The rain has finally stopped, 3+ Meters of snow in the mountains ... Avalanche risk 5 ... Therefore down in the valley for me and Am .. Anyone like this one ? Comments welcome

Misty morning

Real Name
    John

Re: Misty morning

Very interesting patterns, did you do any post editing?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by escaladieu View Post
    Anyone like this one ?
    Yes! Low lying mist is just created to be photographed.

I like what the impact of what are effectively a series of layers going from foreground to background. They take us through the image in sections, but all blend together to make a very, very nice whole.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very interesting patterns, did you do any post editing?
    Yes - LR GND, & Selective contrast enhancement in the Shadows & Mid-tones. Thanks for the feedback !

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This photo has to be seen using the Lytebox to be fully appreciated. Well done!

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes! Low lying mist is just created to be photographed.

I like what the impact of what are effectively a series of layers going from foreground to background. They take us through the image in sections, but all blend together to make a very, very nice whole.
    Many thanks - Much appreciated !

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Jeff,

Absolutely gorgeous!

I would like to ask if you have the time to share your thought process on composing the image. It's an all encompassing landscape that works so beautifully.

And also on processing the image specifically with respect to how you retained/enhanced the natural beauty of the mountains, clouds and mist.

Thank you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very well done; confirmed upon reviewing it a second time!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I kept reviewing it because I was surprised how much everything blends together. The various elements seem like they wouldn't but they certainly do.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Absolutely gorgeous!

I would like to ask if you have the time to share your thought process on composing the image. It's an all encompassing landscape that works so beautifully.

And also on processing the image specifically with respect to how you retained/enhanced the natural beauty of the mountains, clouds and mist.

Thank you.
    Hi Christina, thanks for the kind words on the image. I see that this was over a year ago.

The composition was primarily dictated by the use of a 50mm lens - as I remember it I was walking the dog and put a 50mm on the D800 for a lightweight option. I can remember that I wished I had put a 28mm on instead because I wanted wider when I was composing the shot. Of course I should have Pano'ed it!
    My compositions are mostly instinctive but I do pay attention to rule of thirds & foreground interest when I compose an image. I also sometimes "Bracket the composition" by composing different variations.
    I can't remember what I did for PP but I will usually expose for the highlights & bring up the shadows in PP. I use the Nik filters & recently Topaz detail & Topaz Clarity to good effect. Used sparingly, Topaz detail allows enhancement of clouds & mist in a natural way.

If you want to have a go at PP'ing the image yourself I can supply the Nikon raw file, presuming I can find it.

There are more images on my blog www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk - I'd be grateful for some feedback on the images I have posted there ...

PS if you liked this image, you might like this one too ...

Misty morning

Best regards
    Jeff
    Last edited by escaladieu; 3rd June 2014 at 07:06 AM.

That is beautiful! Excellent Shot!!!

Real Name
    Pania

Beautiful Jeff, I echo Donald's words.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Jeff, I looked at your blog and your shots are just superb

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Jeff,

My pleasure. Thank you for your very helpful reply, and for the photography tips.

Truly appreciated as I'm trying to figure out how best photograph (and post process) mountain scenes, especially misty scenes so I did a search and found your beautiful image. I'm especially intrigued by how you made such a big picture and complex scene work (mountains, clouds, mist, hills, trees, etc) and I suspect that it has something to do with the way you captured all the layers plus the light in the sky so beautifully.

I also love the 2nd image, perhaps more than the 1st image because of the light and beautiful colours of the trees in the foreground. If you are up to seeing your beautiful (1st image) less than beautiful due to my post processing skills, yes, I would love to try processing that image as I'm certain I would learn from doing so. I don't have Nik or Topaz as right now I'm still learning to do basic processing with standard programs is sufficient for me.

Thank you. Truly appreciated.

PS I will take a look at your images, at first quick glance, all I can say is that your images are stunningly beautiful.

Hi Christina, thanks for the kind words on the image. I see that this was over a year ago.

The composition was primarily dictated by the use of a 50mm lens - as I remember it I was walking the dog and put a 50mm on the D800 for a lightweight option. I can remember that I wished I had put a 28mm on instead because I wanted wider when I was composing the shot. Of course I should have Pano'ed it!
    My compositions are mostly instinctive but I do pay attention to rule of thirds & foreground interest when I compose an image. I also sometimes "Bracket the composition" by composing different variations.
    I can't remember what I did for PP but I will usually expose for the highlights & bring up the shadows in PP. I use the Nik filters & recently Topaz detail & Topaz Clarity to good effect. Used sparingly, Topaz detail allows enhancement of clouds & mist in a natural way.

If you want to have a go at PP'ing the image yourself I can supply the Nikon raw file, presuming I can find it.

There are more images on my blog www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk - I'd be grateful for some feedback on the images I have posted there ...

PS if you liked this image, you might like this one too ...

Misty morning

Best regards
    Jeff

Real Name
    Jeff

If you use the contact form on my blog I'll send you back a link to the NEF file

Best regards

Jeff

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Jeff,

I will do so right after this post. Let me know if you wish me to post my edit, assuming that I do a half decent job of it.

Your images are all beautiful, and I am especially fond of all the soft coloured misty ones. One of my favourites is the 1st image in the Mono Section... 1-12 (Exquisite), followed by 1-16 and 1-25.

And these two posted in this thread...

And I especially love the Views from a Garden in Gascony... Breathtakingly beautiful.

My favourites are 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, 1-12 (especially), and 1-17... Truly inspiring!

Thank you.

If you use the contact form on my blog I'll send you back a link to the NEF file

Best regards

Jeff

Real Name
    Christina

Following is my try at post processing Jeff's beautiful image.

Jeff was kind enough to provide me with some post-processing guidelines which included setting the WB to cloudy, setting a medium contrast curve, lightening up the shadows in the image, increasing vibrancy, recovering the highlights, and using a GND filter to lighten up the foreground.

I lightened up the bottom half of the image using curves, and darkened the sky using curves. Jeff suggested using the filters in Photoshop to taste and I tried several different filters to try to match his beautiful colours but I just couldn't quite manage it. (1st time using filters).

Note: replaced edit with a new edit using an overlay filter as suggested by Binnur and I also increased vibrancy.

Misty morning

I think I did an okay job, and that the mist looks fine but that my images lacks the same beautiful colours. Something that I will learn to bring out with more experience.

Thank you Jeff. It was a wonderful learning exercise for me, and a pleasure to work with such a beautiful image.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 4th June 2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: replaced edit with 3rd try

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Christina, have you tried the 'overlay' or 'softlight' blending modes with opacities to your taste ? They really add to the image. Just an idea

Following is my try at post processing Jeff's beautiful image.

Jeff was kind enough to provide me with some post-processing guidelines which included setting the WB to cloudy, setting a medium contrast curve, lightening up the shadows in the image, increasing vibrancy, recovering the highlights, and using a GND filter to lighten up the foreground.

I lightened up the bottom half of the image using curves, and darkened the sky using curves. Jeff suggested using the filters in Photoshop to taste and I tried several different filters to try to match his beautiful colours but I just couldn't figure it out (1st time using filters) so I went with a warm filter. I then applied an unsharp mask radius .4 at 60% after downsizing the image to 1200 pixels.

Misty morning

I think I did an okay job, and that the mist looks fine but that my images lacks the same beauty, due to the colour or ?

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Binnur,

No, I haven't tried any of those yet, except for some reason soft light comes to mind that I likely tried on an image while experimenting because I liked the sound of it. So far most of my experience is in ACR, and using layers to make selective curves/levels and sharpening etc. I will make a note to explore these.

I just tried an overlay filter instead of the warm filter. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 4th June 2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add comment on overlay filter

Real Name
    Binnur

Christina, here is the one with overlay blending mode. Sorry Jeff, I touched your image without your permission to help Christina. I can remove it if you don't like.

Hi Binnur,

No, I haven't tried any of those yet, except for some reason soft light comes to mind that I likely tried on an image while experimenting because I liked the sound of it. So far most of my experience is in ACR, and using layers to make selective curves/levels and sharpening etc. I will make a note to explore these. Thank you.

Misty morning

Real Name
    Binnur

Christina, I used the overlay blending mode with %50 opacity in the post above. You can increase or decrease it to your taste. Just duplicate the image layer, choose the blending mode as overlay and adjust the opacity.That's it, very easy. I have to go to bed now, if you have any questions about it, I will answer you tomorrow